Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New furniture not right/needs fixed

I just heard from the store and my furniture is being worked on as I type this and should be back either next week or the following week. I made a list of everything I felt wasn't right and sent it to them so when it comes back I'll check out everything and post here on how it went.

I want to thank everyone again for their suggestions, thankfully so far I never had to resort to anything other than calling up and asking for the store owner and relating my issues to him. My first messages that I posted may have seemed that I was upset and distraught, maybe that was my frustration coming out but when talking to the store I tried to be polite and keep emotion out of things, though possibly once my being upset did show through but for the most part I stayed calm. So overall the store was always being honest about fixing things just odd circumstances delayed that. I still feel the delays and missed call backs are not good and I hope the store works to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

As to the store it's not a giant super store/chain but more your average locally owned and operated furniture store that specializes in certain brands and quality level they feel is superior to the superstore/chains. I have heard one of the superstores in town is actively ignoring their customers and their issues so hopefully this forum and threads like these can help people who really are not receiving the support they deserve.

Excellent! Glad to see they are responding to your requests.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Excellent! Glad to see they are responding to your requests.
    The latest was the cores in the seat cushions were correct according to the manufacturer who then said it takes six months to a year for breakin. I said that was unacceptable and that it's already been 6 months. The showroom piece was only a few months older (like 5 or so) than my piece anyways. So the store called the manufacturer and told them to replace the cores anyway. I wish I knew more about furniture but in my opinion the cushion had just too much material. Hopefully everything will be better when I get the recliner and couch back.

It can be more than just the cores sometimes. The underlying spring grid has a lot to do with overall comfort and perhaps there was a spec change in that?

Cushion cores do vary however. And your maker should be able to adjust them by using a lighter exterior batting to make them a little softer. We do that with H&M pieces at time of order at customer request.
    Duane Collie

I got the furniture back. The cushions seem to sit a lot better, the knots in the fabric are gone, and the squeak is gone. As to what happened to the furniture concerning the cushion comfort level not sure but a guess is maybe the cushion cores were incorrectly labelled and installed when the furniute was built. The manufacturer claims the cushions were the correct stock number but at my and the stores urging they went and replaced anyways. As for the knots I think just weren't caught by QA which is possible since the fabric isn't an easy one to spot them in, and the clunk/squeak is fixed. Of course being new cushion cores they haven't been broken in but they sit much better than the old ones already.

Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase, I do wish there wasn't a delay in getting things right but in this day and age buying from a store that works with the customer and a manufacturer who stands by their product can be hard to find and I'm glad the store/manufacturer I picked came through.

So would I buy from the store again - yes but if I have questions/issues I will be more persistent in following up
    Would I think about purchasing furniture from the same Manufacturer - Yes again, they fixed it quickly and so far it feels good.
    Last edited by Briant73; 10-27-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Glad to hear it all worked out! Returns are always a bit of a hassle on large pieces, but they reworked the product and made it right and to your satisfaction. At the end of the day, that's what its all about.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Glad to hear it all worked out! Returns are always a bit of a hassle on large pieces, but they reworked the product and made it right and to your satisfaction. At the end of the day, that's what its all about.
    I believe so. Of course the couch cushions do seem to feel a bit less firm/bouncy but I noticed that one cushion feels a bit more firm than the other two, I figure right now to use it and see how it feels after a few months of use. I agree it can be hard to having to send out your new furniture but I will say they picked up the product and delivered it back without any hassle or gripes which made it easier. We scheduled to meet on my lunch hour both on pickup and delivery so it worked out for everyone. They would of supplied a loaner but it was a 10 day turn around so I said don't bother.

It's been a couple months since I received my furniture and thought I’d give another update. So far I am satisfied.

The couch with the new cushion cores sits better in my opinion and according to everyone else who sat on it before and after, the noise from the one part of the couch when sitting is now gone. I believe the cushions will feel even more comfortable after they are used for awhile. The Chair had the one panel replaced where there was a knot in the fabric that when the delivery guy cut it off left a tiny hole that wasn't even noticeable unless pointed out. As far as anything else other than the issues being corrected I cannot even tell the couch was sent out and serviced which should be expected but doesn’t always happen.

Would I buy Smith Brothers furniture again? I would definitely consider it, since I feel their products represent a good middle ground value in price/style/performance which is hard to find anymore; seems it’s either all low end or high end with no middle ground. Knowing that the company does work to make things right if there are issues/concerns is a good feeling since nothing is perfect and issues can arise.

As to the furniture store – They have been great since I talked to the owner. I do believe it was a case of the ball being dropped due to unforeseen circumstances and nothing intentional since they have performed wonderfully since. I would keep them on my list of places to shop in the future since a store that works with their customers on any issues and concerns is a good one.

I want to thank everyone for listening and helping with advice.

Liz H Guest

Briant,

I appreciate your relating all of this here. This morning I saw an ad in the paper for Smith Brothers custom upholstery at a local store. Thanks to this discussion I'll feel confident buying it if I like it.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
    Briant,

I appreciate your relating all of this here. This morning I saw an ad in the paper for Smith Brothers custom upholstery at a local store. Thanks to this discussion I'll feel confident buying it if I like it.

Liz
    Make sure to ask the dealer their policies on any issues you may have with the furniture because every dealer is different. From what I can tell Smith Brothers puts customer service in their dealers hands so check to make sure the dealer is has a good reputation.