Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will it Fit?

Default Will it Fit?

One of the questions I am often asked is "Will it fit into my house?" And that's a good question to ask, because if it does not fit - then you usually have a sofa in your garage until you can call a carpenter to open up your doorway. In all long distance order situations, fitment into your home is not guaranteed.

So how can you tell? Well, experience is the best teacher - years of doing it gives an 'eye' of what will and won't go, but in lieu of that I thought I would document how we deliver a sofa using a Hancock and Moore Reserve sofa as an example. I unpacked this today and brought it in the store and as I was doing it by myself it was a little tricky to get exactly the photo I wanted, but you'll get the jest of it all.

If you to go the H&M website you will see the sofa here:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1486

The overall height is 36" and the overall depth is 39". Will it fit into a 30" doorway?

YES - it will.

1) First you remove all the cushions on this model.

2) When moving through the threshold, the sofa is tipped 45 degrees.

3) Bringing it in an that angle allows it go through the 30" doorway. I might could even get it through a 29" one - though it would be snug.

Here's the photos showing how its done. Shot # 3 actually does line up with the hash marks on the cardboard, but the camera angle shows it differently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit1.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	2120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit2.jpg 
Views:	1041 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	2124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit3.jpg 
Views:	1354 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	2122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit4.jpg 
Views:	1191 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	2123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit5.jpg 
Views:	1144 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	2121
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Will it Fit?

Easy as pie...lol
    Duane Collie

kysleddogs Guest

Yum...Is that Pecos Oak Pie??

Beth

Yes it is, Beth.
    Duane Collie

I came across this Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams sofa and decided to see if I could get it to fit through the top of my stairwell where there's only 28 inches between the banister and the wall. I made this diagram using the illustration in their PDF so see if it would work and thought people might find the approach useful for their own applications.

Apparently the legs are removable, so it might actually work. Any opinions on the brand? I'm looking at two one-arm loveseats to make a four seater sofa.

That's going to be REALLY - REALLY tight. If it goes, you surely will get a rub mark. My guess is no - I've delivered enough sofas that are 42" deep and 35" high in the back that I would not sell that to a customer with a 28" threshold, especially at the top of a staircase where you are struggling to maneuver. Look at that H&M # 9840 City Sofa...there's one I would be willing to try in a 28" opening.
    Duane Collie

There's lots of wiggle room as the stairwell is completely open on the lefthand side, with no railing, and the upstairs is open as well, but very tight. I imagine that some maneuvering will help get the arms through, making it easier. I checked out the City sectional, thanks for the link. I can get it in Canada, even with a RAF/LAF combination, it's not long enough for my needs (96 inches internal). Also I'm a huge fan of t-cushions. A shame they don't make more of them as I know how well made they are. Thanks!

For people with questions about whether furniture will fit there is an amazing free resource available.

Harry Lipsky is a retired professional mover who has moderated a blog for many years specifically to help figure out whether your specific piece of furniture, appliance, etc. will fit through your specific door, hall or stairway.

People send him measurements of the items they are attempting to move along with the dimensions and measurements of the space they are trying to move through. Harry then calculates whether it can be done. In many cases he gives specific instructions on how a piece must be maneuvered, tilted, etc. in order to fit.

I have consulted with him on several occasions and always received a response within a few hours.

Harry can be found at the Moving-Furniture Experts Blog

There are a couple of other moving experts on the blog but I have found Harry to be infallible.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Wow, what an awesome resource! Thanks!

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Jeff. Lipsky is in my neck of the woods. Good to know.