Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So who is this DRCOLLIE guy?

finetaste Guest

Default Re: So who is this DRCOLLIE guy?

Hello Duane...Today was a lazy Sunday, so came on to your "Keeping Room" forum to read and enjoy what you and others have to say. I just came upon "So who is this DRCOLLIE guy?....And read all about you. So good to know a little bit about you Duane...I enjoyed the part where your mom had her little reproduction furnishing store...And she named it "The Keeping Room."....Just like your own furniture store!......Now I know how you got a good eye for fine products!....Smart mom you got there...The sad part was learning you had cancer...I am so glad you are a cancer survivor and you are doing well my friend...Thanks for letting us know a little bit about you...I am so glad I found your forum and so happy I bought my H&M sofa through you....And thanks for educating all of us on buying good furniture...Your a good person and great business man....And my friend!

Talk to you soon,
    Diane....from Staten Island

P.S. Duane do you have a Facebook account?....Or you can have "The Keeping Room" page where all your friends can post photo's and comments....I read Facebook helps people with business reach a lot of people. It's just one more place to get the word out.....More people should know you Duane.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the kind words! Most appreciated. I figure everyone should have a right to know a little background about someone they are entrusting their order to - so its my way of just giving a little background about myself.

I don't do Facebook, I kind of have an objection to the way they sell information gathered on their members. I know its wildly popular (my kids use it non-stop) but I'm just not a huge fan of it.

We will have your new sofa to you pretty quick, too. Its on the 'rush' list at H&M!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

finetaste Guest

Your welcome Duane.....You are spot on about Facebook gathering infor from their members. It is useful for people like myself that has family in different states....Instant up-dates and wonderful photos in no time!

Thanks for putting our H & M sofa on the "Rush List"....We appreciate all you have done for us.

Bless you.

Perrino_Design Guest

Thank you for starting this forum.

BevoGal Guest

I enjoyed reading your back story, Duane. I love entrepreneurship stories and hope to own my own business one day. I left the corporate world when my first son was born, and I'm never going back =) The pay was great, but it's so much more rewarding when work is fun and you make it on your own. So nice to see you have a career you enjoy, and that you put customer satisfaction high on the list.

Shadowtek Guest

Fantastic post and good to know all about you! I'm new here but I've been reading for a little while. Thanks for everything! I wish more companies held to your ideals...

<laughing> Thanks!

I've never grown too big (obviously, since its a 1-man operation) so my business formula probably isn't correct - heck, I KNOW its not correct - to maximize profits its a rather poor model and that is the point of business when all is said and done. But, I sleep pretty good at night and don't have a lot of people who shop my store angry with me for selling them junk - and that's worth something in life.
    Duane Collie

RefurboBen Guest

Duane,
    I enjoyed reading your story, and I am very impressed not only by your knowledge of furniture, but by your willingness to openly share that knowledge at no cost. To my mind, that is the sure sign of a person who truly "gets it". I sell furniture restoration services for Finish Pros in Raleigh, and I am always trying to increase my knowledge of all things furniture related -- after just one look at this forum, I know I'll be learning quite a bit from you. By the way, my father is a BMW motorcycle man, and just a few years ago, when he was already well into his seventies, he completed a trip across Russia and Siberia! He lets me ride an old BMW Paris Dakar touring bike from the early eighties, but I'm not much of a road hero. Thanks again for all the wisdom you share here. -Ben Weidner

Welcome to the forum Ben - If you are in the finish restoration business, perhaps we can all learn from you, too! Many forum readers are hesitant to attempt their own minor touch-ups on things and would certainly appreciate some tips on technique.

I need to take my BMW and ride the length of the Pacific Coast Highway....that's my goal. Takes a bit of time and a lot of miles to do that one from Virginia, though.
    Duane Collie

HIshopper Guest

Well, Duane, you have given us a place we MUST visit when we come to DC this fall, your store! Thanks for the helpful, well-written information you share. Furniture shopping shouldn't be nearly as confusing as it is. We are happy to have you as a good resource to get honest, unbiased information from, in your forum. Thanks for starting it!

Docs are funny, aren't they? 13.5 years ago, I was told I'd need an imminent lung transplant--today, I'm WAY too healthy! So glad you are enjoying life and your wonderful wife and kids. Love the Williamsburg Table photograph on your website--shows such lovely craftsmanship!