Thread: Leathercraft vs H&M

Lakedweller Guest

Default Leathercraft vs H&M

I believe I have read almost every post on the forum. I am a newbie and have found this an excellent site for anyone who is about to purchase furniture!!
    I am in the market for a 2 cushion leather sofa with matching chair. After much research I have narrowed my choices to Leathercraft and Hancock & Moore.
    How do these companies compare in quality and warranties?
    Many of H&M sofas are three cushion, can these be ordered in two cushion?
    Also one more question, does Leathercraft and H&M use married leather?

Default Re: Leathercraft vs H&M

That's a LOT of posts to read!

I consider Leathercraft and Hancock and Moore to be of equal quality. H&M gets the nod with a broader product lineup and more specialty frames (such as carvings and exposed wood pieces), and in many cases may have a slight price advantage depending on the piece. Leathercraft offers some unique pieces and specializes in some smaller scale items that fit women well.

H&M has a stronger warranty/customer service policy in effect which includes lifetime replacement of all cushion cores to the original owner. Leathercraft only replaces cores that wear out in the first year. Cores rarely wear out in one year, but can and do in twelve or thirteen years. To replace a set of three seat cores at todays prices will cost close to $ 400 for standard DuPont Quaalux units. So that gives a leg up to H&M for having that policy in place.

The other key area is H&M is the ONLY maker that I know of who will take an older piece back for repair (such as a deeply cut leather panel on a sofa). Leathercraft will not do that. Two years ago, for example, I had a customer who had a 3-year-old fully tufted Leathercraft sofa that sustained a long, 16" cut in the leather, enough to ruin a very expensive sofa. Because the sofa was not that old, I attempted to get a return and recover of the damaged area and Leathercraft would not do it. The customer liked the sofa so much, that he ordered a brand new one to the tune of $ 5,200. Had that been a Hancock and Moore, we would have shipped it to them (about $ 400 for a round trip) and the leather seat recover would have been about $ 600 or so. So it would have been a $ 1,000 fix vs a new sofa (and there may be a leather dye lot variance).

I've never had a frame or spring failure warranty claim on any H&M or LC piece and there have been a lot of units gone through my doors. That's what most the written warranty covers, but effectively its a non-issue. All things that seem to come up on any leather sofas are damage repair and cushion core replacement.

Yes, you can get a 3-cushion as a 2-cushion on any H&M or LC piece for the most part. A nominal custom charge will apply in most cases.

H&M uses married covers on several frames, all are in the TOWN and COUNTY program. Most will be limited to Document and Cavalier hides, and some in Kipling. Leathercraft does not have a married cover program.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.