Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different Classes of Leather

Odd I/O Guest

Default Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Oh yes! They have Lambskins (not high durability), Deerskin (ditto, a bit more fragile but smooth as butter/soft as silk), real Bison, real Buffalo, Big Horn Sheep, Ostrich and Sheepskin. There's a Croc hide and Cayman in there as well but I think its manipulated cowhide rather than real Crocodile/Cayman. I'd have to make a phone call to be sure.

Whoa!

I didn't know that Hancock and Moore carries such a wide lineup of leathers. Can you share your experiences/knowledge on what's the differences between those leathers are? How do they differ in terms of look, touch/feel and durability? When should one be used over another? Are they worth considering over regular cowhide?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post
    Whoa!

I didn't know that Hancock and Moore carries such a wide lineup of leathers. Can you share your experiences/knowledge on what's the differences between those leathers are? How do they differ in terms of look, touch/feel and durability? When should one be used over another? Are they worth considering over regular cowhide?
    There are 413 leathers in the line when I counted them up last week (I have three leather sets for H&M, and like to keep them all up to date). I've made some detailed prior posts about leather differences in general (finished vs aniline), but haven't addressed specialty leathers much.

In these exotic leathers, which range from real bison and buffalo to lambskins and deerskins, you have specific 'looks'.

The Buffalo/Bison hides are exactly how you would think of them. Tough, knarly, full of natural markings and the like. The Clint Eastwood of leathers.

NuBuck, Lambskin and Deerskin are so amazingly soft, they feel like velvet on the skin. Think Cate Blancket's complexion and that's them. The problem with these hides is they can't take a lot of abuse and you don't want to be eating or drinking on them or you'll have a soiling/staining issue.

The Croc/Lizard/Patterned hides are best used on side panels as decor accents, together with the Sheepshin and Hair-On-Hide categories. You don't want to use these much on seating surfaces, if at all. They're all Class 5 leathers, so you get a pretty good hit on the price in this category.

Then there is lacing, perforating, decorative trims, and custom embroidery. With H&M the list goes on and one and on and on. If you can imagine it, they can build it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Different Classes of Leather

Hi Duane! First, I'd like to say how much I appreciate your forum! I have learned quite a bit from reading through the posts, so a BIG THANK YOU! Question: In searching for the perfect HM sofa, I found this forum. The HM website does not classify the leathers into groups, ie: anilines vs finished. Is there another place to find this info? Our "local" HM dealer is not so local and I would like to find an aniline similar to Champion Bark. I am concerned Champion Bark leather will fail before the sofa itself. Also, we haven't actually seen/felt the Champion line leather on any piece, only the sample. I would appreciate any feedback you have if any. Thank you in advance!

Tina

Default Re: Different Classes of Leather

Actually they do classify on the H&M website when you go to LEATHERS. You can check the box to only show one or the other.

Protected = Finished
    UnProtected = Aniline

Champion series leather is not going to fail, everything from H&M is Top Grain leather, it's a nice hide. Now you can destroy anything with hard or inappropriate use, but I would expect to get thirty years out of the cover in most households. Maybe more.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.