Thread: THickness of samples vs hides B&Y

McCall Guest

Default THickness of samples vs hides B&Y

Duane,

I have a question. I was taking a closer look at my new B&Y Monoco High Leg Lounger. and I was comparing the leather to the sample I had originally
    the leather on the chair is less then 1/2 the thickness of the small sample swatch I have. it is also shiny and flat compared to the supple texture of the sample.
    Also the hide is covered with black lines. these have no texture such as I would assume scratches on a hide would have, perhaps they don't have any texture, but the look is exactly like someone went crazy with a black magic marker. I keep telling myself these are interesting characteristics of the hide.

However the thickness thing bothers me a lot more. Have you noticed a difference between the sample thickiness and the very thin result on the furniture? I mean we are talking sample thickness perhaps 1/16th of an inch and hide on chair 1/32nd or something like that?

I know you think the B&Y workmanship is not up to snuff and you don't like the customer support, but have you also noticed a significant drop in hide quality and thickness?

Oh did anyone buy the chair you had on your truck?

McCall, that's very unusual, the leather thickness variance. I don't see that occurring much, or at least enough to be noticeable. Rather odd, perhaps they changed the standards for that hide?

As for the black "magic marker" streaks, that is something I'm not aware of seeing either. Do you have a digital camera and can take some shots of it? If you do, and have some imaging software, save the size to 5" x 7" and set dpi at 100 and it posts up nicely here on the forums.

Yes, that 1-shot special is gone....went quickly!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

McCall Guest

I still don't have my best camera back but I tried to take a couple of pictures of the black marks:

Here is the room it is in:

The photos help a lot! That's whats known as a 'hand-applied effect' to the leather to give it some variance. Perhaps its not the best job I've seen done with that, but it would be within tolerances for that kind of leather.
    Duane Collie

McCall Guest

So you are telling me basically some idiot did go over it with a black magic marker. it really looks like my grandaughter got at the chair when no one was looking, why would they do that to a +$1500. chair? I notice that the ones in the store don't have that kind of, doo doo, trying to keep it acceptable there. LOL
    I have come to the conclusion that I must buy my leather furniture off the floor from now on so I know exactly what I am getting, not that I will probably by more as I already have more furniture which fits in my apt. but will not fit in my home back East when I go back.

Its not a marker per se, but a toner coat and looks like the leather was folded while the hide was drying after the treatment. This sort of of 'special effects' is done mostly on finished hides, and the less expensive ones. The trick if you want a really nice leather piece is to buy in the upper grades. Going to cost you more money, but they're spectacular. Like that Chesterfield Sofa I posted a photo of ...that was a top leather, and even in the parking lot it gave off the aroma of a fine leather Coach bag. When you get into the top hides, they don't do those silly things to them.
    Duane Collie

McCall Guest

This one was B&Y the hide is grade 2 Aniline # 9497-87A It does still smell nice.