Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butterfly leaves

dwainw Guest

Default Re: Butterfly leaves

You know, I thought the same thing when my wife first described it to me. However, our kitchen cabinets have a couple of drawers that low, and after seeing it in person I realized that the overhang of the table top wasn't so large (I'm guessing 10" or so) that the drawers were difficult to access.

That's a modern, transitional variation of the colonial shoe-foot hutch table. Typically on the old ones, there was a lid in the base, and the table rotated up to a vertical to allow for the use of the table as a chair and storage.

http://www.halseymunsonamericana.com...utchTable.html

I don't like the design of that one. It appears awkward/clunky and the drawers are useless, and will be aggravating to sit at because they are going to be shin-busters (see the difference in legroom from the 18th century original, above). The form is wrong and its out-of-balance to the eye. I'm not sure that a butterfly leaf design can be easily done on a table that doesn't have a center pedestal. Its as if the design is trying to cram too many features in too small a space. Drawers are costly, figure $ 200 per drawer....and the butterfly feature wont be cheap. You'd be looking probably at $ 3K or more to build that.

I think this is a more elegant solution, and a stronger table to boot:

http://www.mackenziedow.com/Product.aspx?productid=24
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

giacovelli Guest

Hi! This is my first post! Ooo a butterfly leaf would be a tough one...not many of
    them around. There is a customizable furniture store here in Lancaster PA who I know
    can build a butterfly leaf table in cherry. They have a great selections option of stain,
    paints and distressing packages. And they ship world wide. No storage but you can
    always ask them to customize! Great family company and top quality, check em out:
    http://www.snydersfurniture.com/

giacovelli,

You need to read the rules of the forum, because what you have here is an ad for your store (your registered email is gina@snydersfurniture.com). You need to be straight up and honest here on the forum or you'll be banned. If you really try to help folks out with their questions, some business will come your way over time IF you take the time to become a viable member of the forum. If you are going to place ads, do it in the VENDOR CLASSIFED section, as per the forum rules.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

LensRoto Guest

Speaking of butterfly leaves, I have found a table that I am considering purchasing that has butterfly leaves. The seller says she bought it from a little old lady years ago. It is a Duncan-Phyfe type table and has claw feet. She says this is stamped under it: 158 MAHO 42. (The chairs are not original. She says they were purchased from Direct Buy for $75 apiece.)

Does anyone think the table is a good find, i.e. worth the obvious need to refinish it?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table2.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1254

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table1.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	1255

LensRoto Guest

Oh, sorry, I guess I should add, she wants $300 for the table and the 8 chairs. It sounds like a bargain to me, but I know someone who refinishes furniture who says she would pay $200.