Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New leather furniture for a novice buyer

Default Re: New leather furniture for a novice buyer

Here's at least a yellow light:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jury still out on merits of bonded leather
    Some sources are testing a single frame in a bonded leather cover, yet others refuse to touch it.

The new alternative cover is hitting retail floors now, said Alan Naness, president of Design Resources, a distributor of this newly developed amalgam composed of 17% leather mixed with polyurethane.
    Naness said he is enjoying “major placements” with his product — dubbed NextLeather — but it needs time to “develop a track record.”

Well aware of detractors, Naness said, “I am not trying to sell it as leather or to mislead anyone. I am not trying to pass it off as anything else. It’s a big product on its own.”

He compared its qualities to that of cotton vs. cotton blend, or solid wood vs. wood veneer.

One unabashed proponent of the new cover is Michael Campbell, president of Leather Italia USA.

“We have received a glowing reaction once I explain the levels of leather characteristics. This is allowing our better and newly introduced programs to shine because they can compare it to (real) leather,” he said.

But most, like Michael Nicotera, co-owner of newly launched Chinese importer Spectra Home, were more tentative. “We’ll use it for effect only (as trim) if we need to (meet a price),” he said.
    I believe Duane explained in another thread that "bonded leather" isn't allowed to be sold as "leather" in any country but the U.S.

Real leather is like steak. NY Strip.

Bonded leather is like an all-beed hot-dog. Various leftover parts all puree'd and formed and held together by casing.

Steak costs more than Hot dogs. Less chemicals in the steak, too.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrnm View Post
    I am strongly considering getting the antelope, but am going to have a battle getting it. But I was also considering the Portofino and fenway and maybe even the Austin or Columbia. What do you think?
    I also saw this B&Y recliner today during my lunch hour, but the salesperson couldn't really tell me too much. I don't think he knew too much. Not that I know any more than he does. But I was interested in it because it felt pretty nice. It sort of looked like the 4114 that you had posted here before. The only numbers I could get from him was this one: RC214-218. Can you translate that to me and let me know what you think about it? Does it look like a B&Y number? Let me know what you think about the quality of the chair.
    P.S. I just read that you ride a motorcycle. Me too. I love it. I ride every day. I take it to work, rain or shine, or snow. talk to you later.
    I like the new Portfino leather, pretty nice hide and its a GR2. The brand new leathers from Spring Market are very cool - some real winners in there, I'll try to post up names and photos by end of this week.

RC214-218 is a dealer code of some kind. B-Y uses only 4-digit numbers on their recliners.

Ahh yes! Motorcycles! I've been riding over 40 years now. Current ride is a 2006 BMW R1200GS, and before that a 2004 Harley Road King that I spent WAY too much money customizing. Guess I've owned about (28) bikes over the years, mostly off-road MX bikes. I went for a ride yesterday to my pal John's house, he has two garages full of perfect bikes, from antique rides to modern iron. I think as of yesterday there were (32) bikes in his garage, from Harleys to Moto Guzzis, to BMWs to Ducatis and BSAs/Triumph/Nortons. Nothing mundane, all exotics. I love to go walk around his collection and we take a few out on Sundays..... Here's my pals about halfway to the Mid-Ohio Vintage Races last summer. Big fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vintage 003.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	1138  
    Duane Collie

bigrnm Guest

I'm jealous. Don't get to ride with too many people here. Mostly solo or 2 up.
    Later,
    Big "R"

bigrnm Guest

by the way,
    Good analogy on the steak and hotdog.

sbmmm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    No worries, the forum is all about asking questions, and I'll be glad to answer to the best of my ability.

Grades of leather are PRICING grades only. I think you still may be confusing them with quality or location. It's what the furniture maker has to pay the wholesaler for that leather and really has nothing to do with country of origin. However most Euro hides are going to be more expensive, so the bulk will fall into GR3 and GR4. That's the norm, not the rule. Weston in H&M is a delightful leather that is from Germany and is a GR2, for example - but is not often ordered.

I don't have a list of hides that show country of origin, that information is generally tightly held and not available, sorry. In H&M, I can tell you that Document, Cavalier, Rancho, Caress, and some of the Kipling is from China and there may be more I don't know about. Of those hides, all are Pigmented, or Finished leathers. The Kipling is a semi-aniline.

Full Top Grain means 'uncorrected'. All finished leathers will be corrected, so that's a given. To get into good, Full Top Grain hides is going to push you into higher classes (for the most part) and your resistance to oily and acidic spills is diminished (as is sunlight fade). 8134NB is programmed in either Document or Cavalier, both are Finished leathers.

You should buy your leather cover based on the following (in order of preference), and not be as concerned on country of origin, at least that's my recommendation:

1) Budget is first. Whats affordable? In H&M product, the items in Town and Country can't be beat on price.

2) Feel and Texture. Often called the 'hand' of the leather.

3) Durability rating for your lifestyle. The top leathers don't play well with meatballs.

4) Color.

From your posts so far, the German Antelope series is perfect for you, it meets all the criteria except budget. If we are looking to save money, then buy the Town and Country Married Cover hides, they will give you good service duty.
    Do the information and product reccommendations on this page still apply in late 2017? If not exactly (no trade stays still), then what relatively high quality, moderate price leather options are available/recommended today? Thank you, very much.

That is still correct information, just some of the leather selections have changed - and will continue to change over the years. Additionally, the new Just in Time Promotion from Hancock and Moore is the most price aggressive, Town and Country second.
    Duane Collie