Thread: Feedback and picture

estrightfamily Guest

Default Feedback and picture

Ours is the typical story. Our sofa and recliner were 15 years old and needed replaced. We decided we wanted to get two sofas for more seating and flexibility if we move again. We started to look online to come up with some brands that we liked. We started out looking for Bradington Young but the store closest to us did not have any on the floor and tried to sway us towards Smith Brothers. We came home to research them but their website is basically useless. So then we headed to another store about an hour away. We got to see some Bradington Young. The salesperson started to show us around. She showed us the City Sofa from Hancock and Moore. We liked the sofa but not the leather on it. The salesperson went to find out and it did come in one other leather (Cavalier Mocha) which is what we wanted a chocolate brown. She added the price was wrong and had gone up but that is was on sale so the total was only $50 more. Then after more talking to her found out she had only worked there a year. So we said thanks but no thanks for now. When we came home, my husband started researching online and found Duane’s Forum. What a great wealth of information Duane provides! We spent hours reading the forum. Finally, the time came to contact Duane with some questions. From reading others’ questions and concerns about sofas we started to question our choice of the city sofa. We ended up finding another dealer that had a September sofa on the floor along with the City Sofa. So we drove another hour to a different store. They were very nice and seemed much more knowledgeable than the first place. We tried not to take up a lot of their time as we decided Duane had already earned our business from setting up the forum and answering our questions promptly. The September beat out the City hands down. Oh, price wise Duane blew them both out of the water.

We looked at the HM site again and narrowed it down to three based on measurements and looks. They were the September, Clivedon, and Quincy. We choose the Clivedon because it was looked very similar to the September but had less nail heads and more curves which appealed to us. The leather we choose was Antelope Nugget. We decided on this leather due to having a 5 year old and a 1 ˝ year old and that a protected leather was the way to go. It was definitely more money than we set out to spend but decided if we are going to do this we were going to do it right. The nail heads are – H-Antiqued , and wood finish – Oiled Walnut Distress.

Delivery happened just as Duane said it would. He billed the remaining amount when the shipper, Sun Delivery, picked up the sofas. Sun Delivery called that same week with a two day time frame and said they would call back the day before to confirm. They called back Tuesday with a time frame of Wednesday afternoon from 12:30 to 4:30 and they showed up a 2:00.

Below is copied from the email my husband sent to Duane upon Delivery ~

“If you sell any of these to anybody else warn them that the Clivedon will barely fit through a standard 36" door. As for the sofas themselves...WOW!

Those poor delivery guys got it through our front door only to realize that the opening to the family room was only 31" wide. They had to take it back through the front door, which didn't go well, with the sofa getting stuck in the opening. My wife discovered that it had got caught on the latch plate and had it not been still covered in moving blankets I'm sure the leather would have gotten torn.

They had to carry them around the outside of the house and bring them through the sliding door on the back of the house. Being only a 6' sliding door, again the sofas barely made it inside.

After all of that work they did, they didn't want to take the tip that we offered but my wife insisted and they capitulated.

The only thing that we noticed was some small slits in the dust cover on the bottom of each sofa. We think that it happened when they were uncrated. No big deal at all though.

We read on your forum the troubles that you had with Home Delivery. I can tell you that we are glad that we spent a few extra dollars and went with Sun Delivery.”

We are very happy with our new sofas and the experience with Duane and Sun Delivery. We will definitely be buying from Duane in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	955  

Default Re: Feed back and picture

Very nice. You mentioned sofa(s), do you have a photo of both in the room, and/or some closeups of the nail trim and side/back of the sofas?

Default Re: Feed back and picture

That's a good color on your sofa! And of course, Antelope always seems like a good choice for most folks. Appreciate the stellar review, and glad I was able to assist. And thank you for your order and trust in buying long distance from my store!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

estrightfamily Guest

Default Re: Feedback and picture

More pictures as requested. We did consider a sectional but decided against it as we do not know how long we will be in this house. We figured two sofas would give us more flexibility down the road. We need to move the picture up and make a decision on the frame, either try to redo the frame ourselves or just get it reframed. Also, we are unsure about an ottoman or coffee table. Afraid either one would be too much.

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	960  

estrightfamily Guest

Two more pictures. It would not allow me to add all pictures above.

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	963  

Good photos!

My suggestions (from what I can see in the photos) is to move the sofa along the wall to the RIGHT appx 8" or so, then re-center the picture. The sofa that is floating in the room looks like it needs to come out further into the room another 10" or so, then a square cocktail ottoman like this would be just about perfect, and give you recliner-like comfort on the sofas:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1550
    Duane Collie

estrightfamily Guest

Duane, Thank you for the suggestions! I do not think Tad will like that as the TV is on the opposite wall. He already had them moved 6 to 8 inches to the left so that they would be closer to the TV. After some complaining, he moved them back. He also seems not to want anything right in front of that side window. I have also attached a picture of the wall with the TV so you have all angles of the room. It is in our plans to a get new stand (shorter and wider) and a larger TV. Maybe I can talk him into helping me move the sofas down to see how it actually looks.

That is the ottoman that is on my list! I have picked out Monique Fawn with gimping in the Sonoma Chocolate. In an older post you said that we could swap the feet to match the Clivedons as well. My heart just skips a beat when I think of our 1 1/2 year old son climbing, drooling, and who knows what else on a Class V unprotected leather! Maybe until my piggy bank is replenished he won't be so bad!

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	964  

estrightfamily Guest

Duane,

This is the husband that listens to a lot of complaining...especially as it pertains to the placement of the furniture. Can you please provide some clarification on "The sofa that is floating in the room looks like it needs to come out further into the room another 10" or so"? Amy says that it means it needs to be closer to the black bookcase in the pictures. I say it means to move it parallel to the bookcase.

Also I think that a larger TV would go a long way in alleviating any additional eye strain that is caused by moving the sofas. Do you have any suggestions on that front?...I kind of like the Samsung LED TV's...say 60"?

Tad

Hey Tad,

Didn't mean to create an issue! You're correct, parallel to the bookcase, it has the appearance of being crammed into the other sofa from what I can see. If you can open that up a bit, I think it might show better. A perfect spot for an ottoman, too...a square 40 to 48" one would really work well, I think. Do the ottoman with a top in the same leather as the sofas (durable) and the side panels in a 'fancy' leather. We can find some fun leathers in other than class 5!

Try laying out the room in 2D here on this planner:

http://www.icovia.com/design/

Save a copy and post it here, there may be some ways to change the room layout as well, need to see the whole room in a grid design.

If you want to keep the sofas where they are, then definitely a larger TV in that area (set atop a cabinet that has a lower height) is needed as well.
    Duane Collie

harland Guest

You might want to try out this calculator for estimating how big of a TV you'll need based on how far away you'll sit from the screen...

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...l#anchor_13194

Hope this helps!