Thread: Wood furniture care and cleaning

Bli182nk Guest

Default Wood furniture care and cleaning

I screwed up... I have had a wood bed frame from "west elm" for about a month. One of my dogs marked there territory, basically lifted leg and peed on the bed frame. The bed frame is considered a platform bed, http://www.westelm.com/products/g020/. If you can tell from link there is like a step around the bed and the pee sat there over night. I did not realize the bed frame is actual wood, usually there is a wood laminate placed over real wood, found out this bed frame was not made this way, it's actual real finished wood. No wonder The bed frame cost So much!

When i tried to clean the pee spot it left a haze/ dull finish in the exact spot the pee was, so my bright idea was to use a kitchen sponge with dish soap, dawn.. I cleaned about 4 inches x 4 inches. When i wiped it off the whole area, 4 x 4 spot, was hazy/ dull. What do I do? It tried a water vinegar mix but that did not work. I even tried using a cleaning product made for "wood" that has oil in it (swiffer dust & shine spray/ lavender vanilla), technically this has a multi purpose use, says to use with leather/ marble and wood laminate. I just now realized the swiffer spray really doesn't specify for real wood so was probably a waste.

This is going to bother me, i am super crazy about stuff like this. i do not know where to turn or what to get/ do. i just want the bed to be shiny again. Also what is a good cleaning product to use on wood so i don't run into this problem again?

thank u so much, wish i wasn't such an idiot when it comes to this..

Michael

Default Re: Wood furniture care/ cleaning (i ?!$&!? Up)

Hi Michael,

You have to take repairs like this in steps, because you can always escalate to the next level but you cannot go back. Most likely that furniture has a lacquer finish on it, Urine has enzymes in it which can attack the finish, resulting in loss of sheen, etc. Since you have it cleaned, make sure its 100 % dry, then try this next:

Get a piece of # 0000 Steel Wool and rub the surface back and forth as if polishing it. Be sure to stay with the grain and avoid 90 degree edges on the wood so you don't burn through the edge. This will cut and polish the top surface and may bring it back to a 90% level of sheen as the surrounding area. If you're happy with this, then you're done. Apply a little wax on top and go....

If the steel wool works somewhat, but still is dull and lifeless in the spot, then you need a can of clear spray lacquer, either satin, semi-gloss, or gloss (you pick). Spray the area lightly in a flowing sweep and let dry. Two coats will suffice. Use the steel wool to knock it down a bit (allow an hour to dry) and adjust sheen with the steel wool.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

furniturefreak Guest

Default Re: Wood furniture care/ cleaning (i ?!$&!? Up)

I had a similar situation! Thanks for the tips Duane! You sure know A LOT about everything and anything related to furniture (and probably BMWs)!!

I am new to this site but I can already tell I will love it. Thanks!