Thread: Hancock and Moore Cavalier

hj808 Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Cavalier

We found this forum while doing some research to replace our old Classic Leather furniture, and it has been invaluable in helping us be educated about the Hancock and Moore line that we have found to suit us.

We are looking at buying several pieces- Austin high back sofa, Monterey loveseat coniguration, and an Addison recliner. In an effort to control the expense to some degree, we are inclined to go the Town and Country route for the sofa, and match the other two items to the sofa leather.

It looked like we had settled on the Document Chestnut, but now I'm not so sure after seeing the description of the Cavalier leather here on the forum:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...r-Descriptions

where the Cavalier is described as an aniline leather. Also here on the forum:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...alier#post6296

the Cavalier is described as a finished leather. The Document is not classified as an aniline dyed leather, and my understanding is that an aniline leather would generally be a better choice.

Is it possible that the Hancock and Moore document is incorrect in its description of the Cavalier?

And finally, we did see a leather sample for Madiera Chestnut among the Town and Country swatches, which we liked, and the Madiera leather is listed in the H&M leather descriptions in the link above, but it does not appear on the H&M website and the dealer couldn't find it in their material even though they had the swatch. Is this leather no longer offered?

Thanks for any assistance-

Herb and Jill

ckeefer Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Cavalier

Duane will be around to answer soon I am sure but if memory serves me right the Madeira might be one of the newer leathers that recently came out so it might not be in the material yet.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Cavalier

Cavalier and Document are for all intents and purposes, equal leathers. Both are FINISHED hides (also known as Pigmented, or Painted) with "2" serviceability indexes (a.k.a. "Wipe n' Go"). Both come out of a tannery in China, and I tend to like the look of Cavalier better than Document, that that's just a subjective bias on my part. Cavalier is definitely not a pure aniline.

Pure Anilines are more expensive leathers, prone to absorbing oil and acid-based stains, and will fade faster in direct sunlight than Finished leathers. They are softer and more luxurious and have the look and feel of 'real' leather. They are not necessarily a superior choice, it depends on the usage intended for a the furniture, and your lifestyle. Think of Finished leathers as Hamburgers, and Anilines as Steak. Steak is not always better - especially if you're trying to drive down the road in a car while eating!

Madiera is not swatched to the dealer sample set as its a promotional hide used only on a few of the Town and Country pieces, and comes in from China in pre-sewn kits. There are only a few frames you can buy it on, namely recliners. Not one of my favorite leathers, I think it looks and feels cheap, and have never sold the first piece in it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.