Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Quality of ACME Mattresses

LensRoto Guest

Default What's the Quality of ACME Mattresses

Hello, this is my first post. I have been reading a lot and learning a lot here in recent days!

I was wondering if anyone knew about the quality and/or reputation of Acme Bedding Co. in Kalamazoo, MI. We are shopping for a new king mattress and it would be nice to buy a mattress made locally.

They have a website but not much information on it about their materials or manufacturing process. It does say that they sell latex beds as well the traditional spring mattresses.

What clues should we look for, and what questions could we ask, to assure that we would be getting a quality made mattress?

Thank you!

Default Re: Quality of ACME mattresses ... ?

Wow....I never would have imagined a company calls itself the ACME Mattress Company.....they should have the Road Runner & Coyote as their logo!

I've never heard of them, but a quick look at their website and it appears they might have one of the worst mattress web sites in the world, if not THE worst. All their photos are of cheap wood furniture - not of their mattresses!? That's rather odd...with boilerplate promotional lingo. No beef, just sizzle. I'd want to see a cutaway of the interior of their boxspring and mattress in detail, along with densities, spring grid gauge, wood used in the box, edge details, cover details, etc. Based solely on what they have on their website you really have no idea what you are getting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadrunner1.jpg 
Views:	1984 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	1167  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Default Re: Quality of ACME mattresses ... ?

I can't speak for qualities to look for in an innerspring mattress as my wife and I have been sleeping on a latex mattress for a few years now. Reasons why we chose latex over innerspring:

- Barely any movement transfer when one of us shifts sleeping positions during the night
    - Resists dust mites and anti-microbial
    - Longer usable lifespan

I'm no expert, but this is what I've read when we were doing our research... Latex can be man-made (synthetic) or it can be harvested from a rubber tree. Some companies will label their mattress (or the latex that they use) as 'all natural' to indicate that the latex is botanically derived or 'blended' to indicate that a combination of synthetic and botanically derived latex was used to make the foam. There are also two main processes to turn the latex liquid or 'milk' into rubber foam - Dunlop or Talalay. The conventional wisdom holds that the Dunlop process results in a 'firmer' feel while Talalay is somewhat 'softer'. Confusing the matter is that the foam can be produced in varying densities and thicknesses and there are no standards for labeling them as 'firm' or 'medium' or 'soft'. However, there is one measurement that you should be aware of - most companies should be able to supply the ILD (indentation load deflection) or IFD (indentation force deflection) of the rubber foam they use to give you a basis for comparison between different mattresses and how they feel when you test drive them.

If country of origin is important to you, I believe that most latex is imported either as a raw material or as finished rubber foam. Latex International is an American company that produces Talalay latex foam using a process they trademarked as 'Talatech'. Another major latex foam supplier is Latex Green, based in Sri Lanka.

To meet flammability standards, most latex mattresses are wrapped in wool which is naturally flame retardant. Some are even encased in zippered covers, allowing you to exchange firmer or softer layers of latex based on your personal preference and comfort.

I hope all this information helps!

LensRoto Guest

Default Re: What's the Quality of ACME Mattresses

Thanks to both of you for your posts. I guess I will not buy from ACME.

To be blunt, I am a little AFRAID to buy new mattresses! There are just so many different kinds out there, and it seems like you can't trust most furniture stores. They are all about pressuring you. I like to be an informed consumer so that I don't fall prey to schemes but I feel wholly inadequate on this one.

I'll just keep reading this website and hopefully my confidence will return.

Just do your research and when you find out what you want, go forth and get it!

Personally I'm totally sold on all natural cotton beds. They are not cheap - some folks don't want to spend the money for them that a hand-made bedding set requies (appx $ 4K for a queen set). They're worth it to me, however - 15 year duty life, best beds I've ever slept on. Old school, I know of only two makers in the USA that produce them. Shifman out of New Jersey (Masters Collection) and Royal Pedic out of California.
    Duane Collie

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. A long time ago I was a bedding buyer for a major furniture chain, so I've seen a lot of good and bad mattresses over the years. The best beds that I have found at any price have been the natural latex foam mattresses. They are not the same as "memory" foam. A lot of people seem to mix those two up. I have never tried one of Duane's all natural cotton beds so I can't compare with that.

Jeff Frank
    www.simplicitysofas.com

Actually I have the best of both worlds with a Royal-Pedic all cotton mattress and a 4 in thick natural latex topper. It is by far the most comfortable combination I have ever owned. Eliminated major back aches I used to have every morning with my Sterns & Foster premium set. I would highly recommend the Royal-Pedic brand with either all latex mattress or cotton/latex combo like mine.

I slept on a 100% cotton mattress ~40 years ago at my husband's grandmother's home. Always had the very best sleep and remember it well.

Duane...Do you have a Royal-Pedic mattress in your store?

Yes, I have three models on display for Royal Pedic:

Standard All Cotton Set (what I sleep in at home, as well as both kids)
    3" latex topper shown with it

Quilt Top Latex 7 Zone, standard set

Organic All Cotton Set
    3" Organic Box topper shown with it
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

I just received the Allergy Buyers Club catalogue. They rate the Royal Pedic as "excellent"--their highest rating.