Thread: Photos of New Sofa

D53 Guest

Default Photos of New Sofa

Here are some photos of our new Leathercraft 907-00 REC3 triple-recliner powered sofa. Actually, the sofa is an incliner, not a recliner. Due to the high height of our lcd tv over the fireplace, we had to have a reclining/inclining sofa for tv viewing (as opposed to a traditional sofa).

Overall, its a nice looking sofa. I haven't decided what I think of it in terms of comfort/sit. It takes some getting used to.

Here's what it looks like from the back. This is what we see from our foyer. Eventually we will put something in front of it to conceal the back. Possibly a coffee table? We haven't had time to deal with the cords coming from it. The leather is nice! Definitely looks better than in the photo of it on the Leathercraft website http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...eclining_sofa/.

Duane steered us away from a recliner, showing us a photo of one where the split backs were clearly visible. The incliner's solid back definitely looks better than the split back of a recliner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2183.jpg 
Views:	1415 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	1171

I wasn't expecting this view when we purchased it. Notice how you can see down the back of the reclining sofa? When standing closer to the sofa, you can see the floor in the gaps between the back of the frame and the recliner mechanism/back cushion. Somehow, I thought the back side would be solid, like a regular sofa. That is, the back cushions would be, or at least look like, they were solidly attached to the back of the frame. Looking at how it is constructed, I realize that the back cushions can't be solidly attached to the back frame (how would it recline?). I still wonder if the designers could have done more to camoflage/minimize the gap between the back frame and the back cushions to make it look more like a regular sofa. If the back of the sofa was up against a wall, it wouldn't be as visible but this is what I see every time I walk into our living room.

Name:	DSCN2184.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	1172

Front view of sofa. Notice how the middle seat cushion is a little cockeyed? Hopefully, this will even-out over time. Also, the bottom of the seat cushions are somewhat raised, not forming a flat bottom. Although not apparent in the photo, one can see a little of the internal mechanisms of the recliner by looking at the gap between the bottom of the seat cushion and the frame.

Name:	DSCN2198.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	1169

This photo highlights the middle section.

Name:	DSCN2199.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	1170

Another photo of the sofa. Notice the large, wired remote controller on the middle seat cushion? This is used to recline the middle section. Sure wish it had been a wireless remote. That way I could have configured my universal remote controller to recline the middle section and not have this wired thingie which is somewhat in the way.

Name:	DSCN2194.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	1168
    Last edited by D53; 05-26-2010 at 09:38 AM.

D53 Guest

Default Re: Photos of New Sofa

Lloyd,

Thanks Lloyd. It is a nice sofa. I'm not so sure about the seat cusions, though. Look at the seat cushions in my photos compared to the seat cushions on the Leathercraft link in my message. Notice how the ones in the Leathercraft website photo look more or less flat on the top and bottom? Mine aren't! Is this what one should expect from a permium manufacturer? I really don't know the answer to this qustion as I know very little about furniture, but I wonder...

In most respects it is a very nice sofa. The seamwork is excellent. The leather is a nice color and I can see no blemishes in it. It reclines nicely and smoothly. It feels solid. Perhaps the uneveness of the seat cushions isn't that big of a deal. I'm certainly not willing to part with it in order to adjust/fix the cushions. I realize I may have unrealistic expectations. What do you think? Am I being too picky about the cushions?
    Last edited by D53; 05-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by D53 View Post
    What do you think? Am I being too picky about the cushions?
    Eh, over the years your cushions will change shape anyway due to use. I wonder though if the reason for the 'cockeyed'-ness of the middle seat cushion is because of the wire from the remote?

D53 Guest

Thanks for the feedback! Okay. The cushions will change (flatten somethwat?) over time so I won't fuss so much about them. I don't think the odd angle of the middle seat cushion is due to the controller, however.

Hi Steve,

You're going to have some gapping in motion furniture that won't be there in stationary, regardless of the maker. If tolerances get too close, then things bind up and leather starts getting friction rubs on it, and that's not good for longevity. Also they have to allow for cushions to flatten and age over time and they will....

Cushion alignment on your sofa is terrible. Its not supposed to look like that. Typically cushions are removed by the delivery company before they bring it inside, to get some weight off the piece. They don't really spend any time putting them back in the piece, and most cushions have a large piece of industrial velcro on the bottom to secure them. Do you have the velcro on yours both on the seat bottoms and the backs? If so, remove all the cushions and start fresh with placement, 'plump' the cushions and mind the velcro alignment. You have to 'set' the cushions into the seating area by pressing them down and back, don't softly lay them atop. You might have to do this a few times to get them right. On the backs, do the same but secure them set IN and DOWN, not laid softly to the back.

If the back cushions are sewn on, then that center one needs some work. Remove the seat cushions and see if there is a zipper at the bottom of the back cushion. If so, open the zipper, reach up with your arm into the casing and reposition the core (shifter during shipping), and you should be able to straighten it out in a few minutes.

Shipping makes the cushions an alignment mess....and they spend a LOT of time when the professionally shoot photos to make sure the plump and alignment are perfect before the camera starts clicking. You can get the alignment corrected on all of them, but it will require some fussing and experimenting with them before they're set. I do it all the time with every sofa that comes through the store , so I'm fast at it - but you should be able to get a good adjustment to it all in about 15 to 20 minutes. Let me know how it goes....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

D53 Guest

Thanks Duane,

We may try re-seating the cushions. I watched the delivery fellows unload the sofa. They did not re-seat the cushions. Rather, the cushions were seated on the sofa, which was wrapped in plastic and delivery blankets. Unless they took the sofa out of its original container and had to seat the cushions prior to loading it into their truck for the move, it may have left the factory this way.

I suppose that when retailers get their furniture delivered, that they must have to make similar adjustments?

I don't know how things are at your house, but it is surprising how little time I've had to sit in the sofa. Too many other things to do!

Most definitely, every piece has to have a cushion adjustment when it arrives in the home or at a store. They just get too jostled in shipping. Even when I do the quick photos in the parking lot that you see in the Resource Photos section when I unpack the pieces, I adjust every one before the shots.

If yours are all Velcro'ed in place, its quick and easy!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mahogany Bob Guest

Thumbs up New Sofa Looks and Comfort

D53,

That looks like an excellent inclining sofa. I really like the solid back look on it. Any luck with smoothing and re-seating the cushions?
    I'm wondering what you've found about comfort and feel in the sitting and recline positions now that you've had it for a few days.
    Since it's a power recliner does it have a whole range of various incline tilts you can use? I hope you are enjoying the new sofa.

D53 Guest

We haven't tried smoothing or re-seating the cushions. Its going to be awhile before we get to it as we have so many other things to do. As you might be able to tell from this message thread, i am somewhat mixed about the incliner. I do not think it sits as well as a regular sofa. My biggest disappointment is that the back cushions do not provide as much support for my head as I would like. The back cushions either need to be taller or thicker at the top to provide good head support. Also, the seat feels a little hard. I'm not sure what kind of springs are on the bottom, but I am sure whatever is used is a compromise since each section of the sofa must be built to individually recline/incline.

The incliner has a infinite number of positions which it can recline to/stop at. That was one of the reasons we went for a power incliner. My understanding is that a manual incliner/recliner normally has 3 positions that it will "lock in to" in the recline position. We didn't know if one of those pre-set positions would work for us. It seems to have have "full" recline; that is, it reclines quite a bit. We don't need it to recline any closer to the horizontal.

To me, the width of the seat seems a little narrow, even though it seems to be the standard width of most leather sofas. I sometimes like to lay down on the sofa but on this one, it just seems a little too narrow for comfortable sleeping, or at least it is narrower than what I'm used to. Perhaps it is the intention of the manufacturer for me to sleep in the fully reclined position? It also seems a llittle narrow when sitting in the upright position, at least compared to what I am used to.

When in a reclining position it feels comfortable enough, except that it could use more head support as I have already mentioned. We are thinking of using small pillows to provide addtiional head support while reclining.

Generally, I would prefer a sofa to the incliner. However, we really needed something that reclined and manufacturers of three-section incliners are few and far between. Hancock & Moore doesn't make one, and I'm still not sure if MotionCraft makes one.

Finally, the use of a wired remote control, as opposed to a wireless remote control, for the center section is surprising.
    Last edited by D53; 06-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.