Thread: Is nail trim optional?

atldb Guest

Default Is nail trim optional?

Hi Duane. New to the forum and I've been reading lots of your posts (here and past ones on garden web) to try to get myself up to speed on what to look for in purchasing a leather chair. It's my understanding you sell the following lines in your store - H&M, Leathercraft and Bradington Young. I've been looking at their lines and narrowing down my list, but I wasn't sure if nail trim was considered an option. I don't want nail trim, so I've knocked those selections off my list. Is that correct or do I need to reconsider those pieces? (if nail trim is indeed an option)

Default Re: nail trim optional?

Welcome to the forum. We have way more fun here that on Garden Web and can post photos, private message and even put up videos in the new v.4 format.

Nails can be deleted on any piece. H&M and B-Y do not charge to delete nail trim. Leathercraft sometimes does.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

atldb Guest

Default Re: nail trim optional?

Just lost my reply, so I'll try this again and hope it won't result in a duplicate...ugh

Thanks for the quick reply. And another thank you for all the wonderful information you've put on the web over the past couple years. I've learned a tremendous amount from you and that knowledge was used to purchase our first leather chair! Found a B&Y Sheffield on craigslist and had to go for it:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fuo/1728378248.html

I know you are not the biggest fan of finished leathers, but given this is our first leather furniture purchase and we have a young child, we felt this was a good way to go at this time. We'll need a second chair at some point to round out the family room, so who knows, maybe we'll step it up a notch next time?

Question for you: Under the cushion (I knew to look there because of you!) it says "A" for aniline and "F" for finished. Does that mean the product is considered "Finished" or "Semi aniline?" I lean towards finished because I thought I'd see an "SA" or "AP" (for aniline plus) otherwise, but I couldn't find confirmation of this on B&Y's site. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Default Re: Is nail trim optional?

Glad to help!

Finished leathers are fine, don't get me wrong. There are some very elegant finished leathers such at H&M's Antelope, and some really lousy ones as well...you select what's appropriate for your family and lifestyle.

In Bradington Young parlance: the first four digits are the leather series, then a dash and two more digits are the colorway, then an alpha character last. So if I see 9044-69-SA I know the series is # 9044, the color is a Burgundy (all 6X are burgundy, just as a 8X are browns), and the SA is Semi-Aniline. Most the time that won't be on the furniture, its on the production tag (which is usually torn off or falls off) or on the leather swatches themselves.
    Duane Collie

atldb Guest

Good deal. Interestingly enough, there was a tag with the chair and the number is as follows: 3703 FS 9851-89. So based on what you said, it looks like the series is 3703 (Sheffield), then 89 is the brown color family, (and hey, it's brown!) but I'm still unsure as to what "FS" exactly translates to. If it said just "F" then I'd be good to go, but the additional "S" is throwing me for a loop... Just want to be sure of what I have in order to take care of it properly.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback and if you happen to know this one, I'd be very grateful.

Normally the coding sequence would be 3703, the the leather 9851-89. I have no idea what the "FS" is that you are seeing between the frame and leather series. I can tell you that the 98xx series means its a promotional married cover hide (all "(98XX" leathers are) and 95% of the time those will be Finished leathers, so use either mild soap and water for cleanup, or leather kits for finished hides and you will be good to go.
    Duane Collie