Thread: Leather Furniture that will withstand multiple moves on a budget

MagicHour Guest

Post Leather Furniture that will withstand multiple moves on a budget

Hi,
    I was hoping you could help me with choosing a quality leather sofa and love seat that will fit our lifestyle. I have been saving for new, matching, furniture for the last six years and I am now ready to say goodbye to our mismatched slip-covered furniture. I have budgeted about $4000 for both the love seat and sofa, however, I have talked to my husband about potentially spending a little more if needed. I like H & M's City Sofa, with its simple lines, rolled arms, and sofa with three seat cushions, but I'm pretty sure that is way out of our price range. I am looking for leather that is somewhere between chocolate and espresso and will withstand children, food, and oils from pet hair (our dog does not get on the couch but he does lean against it). Also, my husband is in the Army and we seem to move about 18 months. So, the sofas will be seeing a lot of moves (trying to get in and out of houses) and will likely be stored on its side during the moves.

I have looked at Palliser and Thomasville, but question the quality. The Thomasville is made with engineered laminated woods and hardwoods, pigmented leather, and the seat support is elastic webbing, which I had never heard of before. I was under the impression that 8-way hand tied springs are the way to go, as well as kiln dried hardwood.

I looked at BY and liked the Connor, Heartford, and 662-95, but don't know if these are near my price range either. The Palliser is well within my budget, but I question the quality based on reviews and comments I have read.

Can I get a quality leather set that will withstand my family's life style in or near my budget? What do you suggest?

Thanks! Chelle

Default Re: Leather Furniture that will withstand multiple moves on a budget

Hi Chelle,

You're close to budget on selected Bradington Young and Hancock and Moore. Both are well made, though the H&M is solid hardwoods while the BY is a combo of engineered and solid. Either should do well being moved around. If you do the H&M # 9840 Sofa and Loveseat in Cavalier Mocha (which should be in your color range), then you're just a few hundred past your budget (Private Message me for an exact quote), plus delivery charges. These prices will increase July 1st.

BY's 662-95 is brand new from the Spring Market and not in the current price list I have at home, but I can check on that price for you on Tuesday if you PM me on it. Should be within your budget.

Go with the best construction you can get ....thats the key to longevity (and clean your leather 2x a year!)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Leather Furniture that will withstand multiple moves on a budget

From the B-Y Catalog:

"Frame: Selected Hardwoods, 15-ply 7/8" laminated hardwoods, precision machined. Mortise and Tenon joints are reinforced with cross-banding to create a frame with dimensional stability."

My prior post indicated exactly that, it was a combination of solid and laminated hardwoods. Its a bit more sophisticated than 'plywood' that one would find at Lowes or Home Depot. Most frame parts are cut on a CNC router out of the laminated hardwoods, but there are some hardwood components as well. This topic has been covered recently, and here is a photo in a recent model # 4114 recliner that shows there are hardwood components in the frame here (scroll to the second to the last post):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=hardwood
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.