Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Bedroom Furniture

I haven't heard back from anyone on the sets I am looking at but did go looking some more this weekend.

Two of the sets have rails on the drawer sides (aspen,alanmorgan) is this an ok feature? The mobel promises real wood but one thing I didn't find pleasing is that the drawers do come forward easily but have no design feature to stop/slow them down from coming all the way out. I know it's a learning curve to just remember not to pull hard or too far but early in the morning I may not remember and my poor toes may be the victim of me not being fully alert yet.

I can tell the difference in bedrooms with a 4 piece set in the 1000-1800 range feels like compared to one even if made overseas in the 1800-3100 range. And yes the sets that would be 3k and above have their advantage in build, looks. The drawers open easier, every moving piece feels lined up and moves well, the wood looks/feels better.

I was dissapointed on a Stanley piece I looked over that was in the 3k range, everything on the outside felt and looked decent but when I pulled open a dresser drawer I was underwhelmed. The drawer bottom felt flimsy, didn't seem to fit well, and just overall let the whole piece down. Is this now typical of Stanley bedroom pieces?
    Last edited by Briant73; 02-27-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Just in case anyone is following this thread, latest update, the Alan morgan piece is just too dark for our tastes, they switched to a darker cherry but we have another piece in mind

http://www.universalfurniture.com/Am...itageBR_01.asp

Anyone have any knowledge of this brand or comparable brands to look at?

Sarah Guest

I am following your search for bedroom furniture. We plan to replace our current set but it will be probably three years or so before we are able to do so. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of the brands that you mentioned.

Green-minded mentioned Durham and I did see some of their pieces at a local furniture store. In person, it looks even better than it appears on their website.

I got a quote on it from a N. Carolina mega-dealer and the Saville Row collection was about $1040 for the king-size-bed, $897 for the triple dresser, $1620 for a large armoire, $850 for a dressing chest, etc. (freight not included).

Keep us updated on your progress & decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I am following your search for bedroom furniture. We plan to replace our current set but it will be probably three years or so before we are able to do so. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of the brands that you mentioned.

Green-minded mentioned Durham and I did see some of their pieces at a local furniture store. In person, it looks even better than it appears on their website.

I got a quote on it from a N. Carolina mega-dealer and the Saville Row collection was about $1040 for the king-size-bed, $897 for the triple dresser, $1620 for a large armoire, $850 for a dressing chest, etc. (freight not included).

Keep us updated on your progress & decisions!
    Thanks for the response, we do have a local retailer of Durham but the pricing seemed a bit out of reach for my current budget. I may go through their website and fire off an email to get an idea though.

Update to this thread if anyone is still reading it.

Found a Mobel bedroom set
    http://www.mobelinc.com/Bedroom-Sets/passages.htm most likely with just the wellington headbord , triple dresser, two bedsire chests, and a night stand.

Also like this Durham http://www.durhamfurniture.com/colle...?category_id=7

Checking pieces from both companies I found they both seem well constructed compared to the lower priced stuff I have seen.

jarrodsmorton Guest

These are two lines I do not carry for some reason. We carry everything else. I am aware of how they do things. If you want this quality and price point, I would also check out Kincaid. Their website is www.kincaidfurniture.com. If you need any help, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodsmorton View Post
    These are two lines I do not carry for some reason. We carry everything else. I am aware of how they do things. If you want this quality and price point, I would also check out Kincaid. Their website is www.kincaidfurniture.com. If you need any help, let me know.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. I have seen some really nice "higher" end stuff that was out of my price range but the two I mentioned seem to be attainable and have overall the quality I'd like. I like they use solid woods and when actually previewing a piece it impressed me when I go to open a drawer even if I'm just grabbing from one side the drawers open easily and balanced.

Compared to the two Stanley pieces I tried I had trouble easily opening the drawers and the drawers themselves didn't speak to me of quality. Pieces below Stanley I don't even want to get into. The Allan Morgan set opened easily but all the drawers were on side rails.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Even though it is solid, quality wise it is not better than Stanley. Stanley will actually price out a little higher. I will tell you that Stanley is in the process of swiching over their drawer construction for the better from the fall market. That is usually the biggest complaint from consumers. Everything else I would give Stanley the edge. They are coming out with a collection called Classics. I think you will like it. It is supposed to be on our floor within a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodsmorton View Post
    Even though it is solid, quality wise it is not better than Stanley. Stanley will actually price out a little higher. I will tell you that Stanley is in the process of swiching over their drawer construction for the better from the fall market. That is usually the biggest complaint from consumers. Everything else I would give Stanley the edge. They are coming out with a collection called Classics. I think you will like it. It is supposed to be on our floor within a couple weeks.
    Jarrod,

Just wondering why you would give Stanley the edge here or say that the other brands are lesser quality than Stanley? I do remember you saying your store doesn't carry Durham or Mobel.

As most people I am here to learn about furniture and also share with others so I'm going to post my research and testing of Stanley compared to Durham and Mobel
    1) On Stanley there is a chance that at least some of the pieces/parts are made overseas
    2) Price wise Stanley was the least expensive of the three when shopping locally. Two stores had Stanley pieces and it was Priced lower than Mobel and Durham at the stores that carry them the past few months.
    3) You mentioned the drawer construction is below par and I agree, in fact I saw less expensive pieces than Stanley that the drawers felt/looked better.
    4) When operating the pieces Durham and Mobel drawers seemed better balanaced and opened smoother. The finishes on the other two seemed as good if not better and wood tops/sides felt more substantial.
    5) The others from what I can tell use solid wood where Stanley seemed to use MDF or Veneers in spots.

By the way if you asked me to rank these three Durham would be my first choice, Mobel second, then Stanley. I look forward to your response since I'll freely admit I'm a novice when it comes to furniture and the more I know the better choice I'll make when purchasing.

I did quickly check out the Stanley Classic line and you are correct about liking the look of the pieces in it. Compared to Stanley's current bedroom lineup the Classic line is much more my taste. http://www.stanleyclassics.com/
    Last edited by Briant73; 03-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.

jarrodsmorton Guest

One thing I failed to ask was which collection you were looking at from Stanley. Most of Stanley is still domestically made. They do import a little bit. That is mostly their youth beds and dining room chairs. Some of their groups do have more in them than others so that does matter. Just so you know, solid wood does not always mean the best quality. Keep in mindy, wood shrinks and swells. If that happens, it could alter a piece of furniture by an 1/8 of an inch. Manufacturers use veneers for design features and because it just a better way of making a piece stronger and more durable. You just want to make sure they are using 5 ply when using veneers. I could talk about this, but I don't have enough room. I know Duane could explain this as well because some high end product. When it comes to Durham, when we were considering carrying them it was manufactured in Canada. I believe that is still true. I am not pushing Stanley on you. I really could care less. I don't like selling it from a profit standpoint because everybody and their mother carries it. Because of this, most dealers will sell it for a very small mark up. That is why if you marked these three lines at the same mark, Stanley would probably price out higher. The new group that I told you to look at I know will price out higher. It is one of their premium groups for Stanley. Overall, I feel Stanley is a great value for the money.