Thread: More H&M

envirochick Guest

Default More H&M

Duane:

Yesterday I spent the day travelling a few hours from my hometown to see a selection of H&M sofa/chair styles and hides in person. As a consumer, I've learned a few things.

1. The swatch and the actual hide on the piece of furniture are more often than not, not even close to being the same. Not just due to dye lots either. Due to the fact that a 4 x 6 swatch can't possibly show the variation in leather texture or leather color that 6 yds of hide can. Even the swatches under the cushions rarely looked like a match.

2. H&M is pretty darn comfortable in most styles. From traditional to contemporary, they sit well.

3. These babies are expensive! And the retail stores I went to, for the most part, didn't see the T&C program as a savings to pass onto the customer. They saw it as an opportunity. The married pieces, in a couple of cases, were more expensive than custom Grade II or III pieces on the floor. I suppose it's whatever sells the best for the retailer.

4. I broadened my hide choices by seeing them in person. Some that I had either eliminated or wasn't interested in became possibilities. And I agree with McColl and a post she had recently, I don't know if I could order anymore just based on a swatch. I would think it leads to much consumer dissapointment regardless of the leather grade.

So, there's a little of what I learned. Now I have a few questions for you, please.

a) Can you give an opinion on both the Weston and the Antelope hides? I understand Antelope is a III and Weston is a II? Antelope looked protected, is that the case?

b) Would you be so kind as to give a price opinion? The Bradley sofa in grade II: $2850.00. The October sofa in grade III for $3000.00. The 84" Sundance in grade III: $4000.00

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by envirochick View Post
    Would you be so kind as to give a price opinion? The Bradley sofa in grade II: $2850.00. The October sofa in grade III for $3000.00. The 84" Sundance in grade III: $4000.00
    When looking for pricing info, its a good idea to use the actual model number rather than the name. For example, there are (5) models of the Bradley. Those are all excellent prices and I doubt you will find them for less.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We own both an Austin sofa and chair/ottoman from H&M in Antelope saddle with a mahogany distress finish. As Duane indicated it is a very fine leather and has a great appearance and wonderful soft feel. We have owned these pieces for about 4 years and they are still like new even with everyday use.
    Duane is also so very right about matching leather as we learned when we tried to purchase another piece to match. The leather samples sent by H&M did not match and in our case the sofa and chair had been returned to the factory for some cushion enhancement (another story, suffice it to say H&M provided wonderful service in replacing some of the downfilled cushions that were not firm enough), and H&M could not find hides in their inventory to match for the new piece. Bottom line, if you are very inflexible purchase floor stock, otherwise look forward to the excitement of the uniqueness of the natural product called leather.

Larry

envirochick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    When looking for pricing info, its a good idea to use the actual model number rather than the name. For example, there are (5) models of the Bradley. Those are all excellent prices and I doubt you will find them for less.
    Thanks Duane. Sorry I didn't see that you had edited your original post. The Bradley model number is 1944. Regardless of the good pricing on these floor models, I think we're going to still choose the frame that suits our lifestyle with a leather that does the same. The Bradley doesn't have the arm style we prefer and the October is sort of an odd shape, although comfortable. It seems like a "sort of" September. It sits low to the ground is is deeper than it is tall. Have you ever had it on your floor? Sundance was absolutely gorgeous in Equestrian Saddle. The detail on the back was stunning and it was so comfortable. I am floating my furniture so the detail wouldn't be lost in the room, however it is too bulky for my room dimensions.

In the end your advice is very accurrate...buy the style you want in the hide you want and you won't go wrong. Within your budget, of course!

I've not have the October model come through here, but from looking at the frame I doubt it will sit like the September., it will be more like the Cabo which I do have on the floor. The September is likely slightly more comfortable in terms of plushness than the October, but that just speculation on my part based on frame makeup.

The Sundance is spectacular. No other word for it, probably one of the sharpest looking sofas in the line that's as beautiful from the back as it is from the front. We just delivered a Sundance Sectional locally last Saturday and it lit up the room. Be aware that both the sofa and sectional on the Sundance models have a curved front of them, which may not be evident in the photos.

These pieces last a LONG time, so while budget is always a concern, you really do have to get what your heart desires as you will own it and use it for quite awhile.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.