Thread: Help me with adding seating in Living room- First post with Pics

mattsam Guest

Default Help me with adding seating in Living room- First post with Pics

Hello,
    I'm trying to add seating to this room by moving out the current couch and adding possibly a small sectional and a recliner.

What are your thoughts? The room is pretty big but I can't put any seats against a wall as those are walkways.

Thanks,
    Matt

Default Re: Help me with adding seating in Living room- First post with Pics

I think a sectional would work well in that room, wrapping to the area in front of the bookcase, and a recliner in the opposite corner from the sectional corner. It would work well in the space.

Design notes: That rug is not working in that room. Way too small, wrong color, and style. Start your re-decorating with the rug first, and consider a sand-color Sisal style or thick patterned Berber rug appx. 10' x 10' for that room (maybe 12' x 12' hard for me to tell the dimensions). It won't be expensive and will transform the look. Paint color on the wall is good to match the environment, but you need a color break on the floor itself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

riverwalk Guest

You have a great room with which to work. Wonderful floors. I agree with drcollie about the rug & sectional possibilities. I would also put the sofa facing the draperies instead of in front of them so you can have a better view when you are sitting in there. The view as it is faces a lot of broken up space and doorways and makes it feel uneasy. Also, if you did something to enhance the window treatment and had the bulk of the seating, whether sofa or sectional, facing that direction, you would feel like you are in a really special place because it could be a nice focal point. If you went with a sisal or Berber rug, you could do some bamboo or natural blinds hung as high as the drapery rod instead of on the lower windows, under your drapery panels to tie it in, but make it one long blind rather than 3 small ones to give a unified look. The draperies should be a bit fuller than what is there, with a thicker rod or a traverse rod because that one looks too frail. You could leave the natural blinds down to filter light and to give a unified look to that wall. I don't know what is on the wall where you took the camera perspective, but if it's an unbroken wall, that would also be a good one to use for tv watching if you do that in there. Just ideas, for what they are worth.

mattsam Guest

Oh this is great. The reason why we face the existing couch this way is because straight ahead it is facing a very large double front door. I think if I face the couch to the windows (opposite of how it now is) when you walk in the front door it would be awkward.

The first picture is from the stairwell landing going upstairs. The TV is wall mounted just to the left of the camera position.

Please give me more feedback I really appreciate it.
    Matt

nhpinnacles Guest

I would be inclined to face the sofa/sectional away from the front door. You need to create a defined family room within the floating space and your TV should be the focal point that the seating is directed towards , facing a front door just feels wrong somehow. Heres a thought - a sectional with one sofa section in front of the bookcase and the other facing away from the front door with a sofa table with lampbehind it and a runner or two to guide trafic and offer more space identity and definition. If I have this layout right the recliner would face away from the TV so you could look at Taylor King who has a good selection of swivel recliners. Then as you come downstairs you could enter the family room with more ease and enjoy that great wall of windows that you could highlight with either great drapes on no treatments at all if they look out to a backyard view. Or another thought - a curved sofa flanked on each end by recliners, swivel if needed. Also you could paint the TV wall a few shades darker to give the space within the space even more of a seperate identity from its pass thru spaces. Good Luck you have a beautiful home.

mattsam Guest

Ended up finding a local dealer that had a Taylor King sectional to go look at. Wow very impressed. Ended up getting a K55 33 and 32 to give us a really nice sized sectional. Got a taylor-made recliner in a contrasting fabric, along with pillows for the sectional in the same fabric as the recliner.

Quoted 8 weeks, this will take the room from 4 max to 6 minimum

mattsam Guest

I'm in a little buyers remorse on color. I see we have some wrong colors for that room and I kind of feel we picked out similar colors for the new stuff!!!

What do you guys think. The sectional is Rubino Coin (pictured is Taffy but its about a shade darker more brown) We also got the ottoman matching, grade 22F, all square taperred leg mahogany

Then the Taylor Made recliner in the Gino Laurel

Accent pillows for the sectional are Gino Laurel

So where do I stand?
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUBINO-TAFFY.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	1295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GINO_LAUREL.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1294  

elementscf Guest

I agree with the previous responses. Great floor and room by the way! I'm not sure whats on the side where you took the picture but maybe putting the couch on the side with the bookshelf and putting the bookshelf opposite of the couch? It might open up the room a bit as well? Just some thoughts =] hope all works out!

Evan

www.elementscf.com