Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guideline seat heights and inside depths

drkwin Guest

Default Guideline seat heights and inside depths

We are in the market for leather couches - never bought leather before, so this is all very new! I'm 5'5" and my husband is 5'10". The furniture is for a family room, so lots of lounging, napping, etc. What would you recommend as the range of seat heights and inside depths for a couch?

Also, I've been looking at the H&M Journey (1724) and City (9840) couches in the Town and Country program. How would you compare these two as far as how they "sit"?

One last question: Would the Journey recliner be a good fit for my husband? Is that part of the Town and Country program as well?

Thanks very much!!!

Default Re: Guideline seat heights and inside depths

There are actually three measurements that come into play:

Seat Height: Average is about 20"
    Seat Depth: Average is about 21"
    Overall Height: Average is about 36"

And your heights are.....Average! So anything within that range you'll find will fit you both well (for the most part).

The H&M # 1724 Journey is one I favor more than the # 9840 City for 'couch potato' comfort - I actually think its one of the most comfortable sofas in the H&M lineup. Its plush, its soft, you can lay down on it and nap without even needed a pillow. And the Journey Recliner should do equally as well for your husband. Both the sofa and recliner are in the current T&C Program in Document Tobacco as the feature "married" leather (best price point), and any of the other 26 Document colors at a slightly higher price. You can Private Message me for a quote if you like...

The Town and Country program is changing July 1st, so there is only three more weeks on it as it now stands. I don't know the changes at this point, but frames will be added, some dropped, leathers changed and prices sure to go up.

Glad to help!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

drkwin Guest

Great - thanks very much. I don't actually care for the look of the Document Tobacco, which is unfortunate! When they change the T&C program, are there some staple pieces that are always there, like the Journey sofa? I'm wondering if perhaps a different leather would be available in the new program. Are you able to get the list of changes in advance of July 1? And, once the new program is in place, are "retired" pieces then put on further discount?

I'll PM you for a quote - thanks again!

Correct, some pieces stay in the program a long time, but the primary leather may change and the price most definitely does.

I do not get an advance copy, nor does any dealer.

These are all made-to-order pieces, there is nothing in-stock to further discount.

Here's my educated guess on the July 1 changes:

* 80% of the existing items will have price increases of 5 to 8%
    * 30 % of the line-up will be changed (added/deleted)
    * on items that carry over from the current program, 20% will have cover changes.
    Duane Collie

veyron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drkwin View Post
    We are in the market for leather couches - never bought leather before, so this is all very new! I'm 5'5" and my husband is 5'10". The furniture is for a family room, so lots of lounging, napping, etc. What would you recommend as the range of seat heights and inside depths for a couch?

Also, I've been looking at the H&M Journey (1724) and City (9840) couches in the Town and Country program. How would you compare these two as far as how they "sit"?

One last question: Would the Journey recliner be a good fit for my husband? Is that part of the Town and Country program as well?

Thanks very much!!!
    Sofa seating height from floor for people of average height is about 17 to 18 inches max.
    Depth of the seat about 22 inches and so is the width of each cushion.
    Back rest heights from the floor between 34 to 36 inches

Recliner seating height - 18 inches from the floor would do fine.

17" is a little low unless you're 4' 11" tall....

22" is a bit deep unless you are 6'2" or taller....
    Duane Collie

juliel Guest

Too bad that means September is out for my family (5' 4" and 5' 11"). I love the style and price of this sofa.

Maybe not. Have you tried one out yet? At 5' 4" your feet may not touch the floor flat-footed on it, but that's a very popular model and a lot of ladies buy it for their home. If you want a low seat height in H&M, check out the 4701 Member sofa.
    Duane Collie

juliel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Maybe not. Have you tried one out yet? At 5' 4" your feet may not touch the floor flat-footed on it, but that's a very popular model and a lot of ladies buy it for their home. If you want a low seat height in H&M, check out the 4701 Member sofa.
    No, never had the luxury to try it out. But I know it is a very popular model and considered it as my safe choice. I tried Sundance once, way too deep. September is just 0.5" less. Now I am back to square one. Sigh!

artielange Guest

I am 5'3" and I have a September Sofa and Loveseat and I never have felt that they are too big for me.