There's a bit of a flaw in the Hancock and Moore ordering system that is not likely to be corrected or addressed, and I think its important to let those ordering H&M know about it, because it can result in significant time delays.

If you order more than one hide on your order (this can be something as small as an ottoman in contrasting leathers) and specify that you want it all shipped together, then there is there is no way to reserve or set aside the leather that is in-stock while it waits for a leather that is out-of-stock. Production will not be scheduled until all raw materials are in-hand at the factory for a given order.

Example:

You order a # 1667 Sofa in Kipling Java and a # 1044 Recliner in Antelope Nuggett and you want the pieces shipped together to save on overall shipping dollars. H&M has the Kipling Java and its out of stock on the Antelope Nuggett. We are quoted that the Antelope will arrive in about three weeks. They will not begin building the pieces until all raw materials are in hand. Three weeks goes by and the Antelope does arrive, but now the Kipling is out of stock and won't be in for 4 weeks. We wait some more. Now the new Kipling arrives but the Antelope is out again!! This can - and will - go on like an endless 8-track tape until both leathers happen to be in-stock at the same time.

And this is why you will sometimes read about 6-month delays in making an order. And its virtually the only reason when times take that long. I have spoken to the owners of H&M and they are aware of this situation occurring, but for a variety of reasons the system in place will remain as it does now.

Practical Solutions:

1) Don't order different color leathers on one given order and to ship complete unless you can stand the chance of getting caught in the waiting loop.

2) Specify "Ship as Available" and pay the extra freight charges that will occur. This can and most likely will increase your freight charges by 20 % or so, but you are likely to get your pieces much quicker.

3) Check with your dealer frequently if you have multiple leather selections on one order that is specified to 'ship complete'. While the dealer generally cannot do much to speed your order, he can give you updates.

I had several orders this year that were 'caught' in this out-of-stock loop resulting in long order times. Through many phone calls to H&M I was able to figure out why this was occurring. And now I want to pass that information onto forum members so they can decide at time of order to 'ship complete' or 'split ship OK' and pay the extra freight.

Just an FYI....