Thread: Vermont Woods Studio? (Or, any good local artisans in Los Angeles?)

Buster Guest

Default Vermont Woods Studio? (Or, any good local artisans in Los Angeles?)

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Vermont Woods Studio. I'm in Los Angeles and looking for a quality, made in the USA china hutch in a shaker style, but haven't had any luck finding anything local. I like the look of a hutch from Vermont Woods, but am scared to purchase without having an opportunity to see something in person.

Any feedback would be great...also any local furniture makers or dealers of quality furniture in the Pasadena/Los Angeles area would be great. Thanks.

Default Re: Vermont Woods Studio? (Or, any good local artisans in Los Angeles?)

I don't know it 'hands on' but from looking at their website i would say that for most pieces, design is good and well-proportioned. Workmanship is nothing exceptional, everything is milled with high speed machinery and belt sanded. Dovetails are done in a pattern jig. It appears to have plywood backs in the hutches (can't be certain, but I'm a pretty good guesser at that), and in that price range I'd want to see solid backboards and drawer bottoms. They don't have a furniture cut-away on their site, which is too bad. Probably not bad, but certainly not a unique product line and I'd want more construction details prior to purchase.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

peggyfara Guest

Thumbs up Re: Vermont Woods Studio? (Or, any good local artisans in Los Angeles?)

Hi Duane and Buster,
    As owner of Vermont Woods Studios I wanted to thank you both for visiting our website and for your interest in our furniture. I'd like to offer some clarifications regarding how our furniture is made. First I should note that Vermont Woods Studios is a network of fine furniture makers-- similar to your network at The Keeping Room Duane, except that all of our furniture makers are located in Vermont. Each of our pieces is handmade however the details of joinery, finish, sanding, planing, etc do vary, depending on the particular furniture maker. We set the bar quite high for our minimum standards and they are spelled out on our website. There you can also find substantial details on the specifics for each collection of furniture that comes out of a particular studio.

Our furniture makers strive to marry the best of both worlds when it comes to using traditional methods and modern technology. For example, you will find hand-cut dovetails, hand-planed panels and hand-carved details in some pieces while other pieces are may be made more affordable by the use of innovative, modern precision tools. Regardless of the methods used in construction however, we do back each piece of furniture with a lifetime guarantee.

If you have any specific questions regarding a specific item you have seen on our website, please feel free to give us a call or we can discuss construction details through this thread.

Thanks again for your interest in our work. Best regards,
    peggy