Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass and/or Iron Beds: Recommendations?

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Brass and/or Iron Beds: Recommendations?

Our Kincaid "cherry" headboard needs to be replaced. This time around I was thinking of a brass or wrought iron headboard--probably a combination of the two. I looked at Charles P. Rogers and Brass Beds of Virginia. Does anybody have an opinion on the quality of their products? Or other suggestions? I need to buy a headboard (unexpectedly) and I don't ever want to buy a headboard again, so I want to purchase something solid, and it must be manufactured in the U.S. Thanks.

nhpinnacles Guest

Default Re: Brass and/or Iron Beds: Recommendations?

Take a look at www.wesleyallen.com they are great quality beds I have one and highly recomend them also they are made in the USA . They are so much better anything else I looked at truly solid construction that will last for generations.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you so much! I looked at their website and think I may have found one I love. Which style and finish do you have? Would it be too much trouble for you to post a photo? I would love to see it!

nhpinnacles Guest

The bed I have is not shown on the website I will look through my paper work and see if the name is listed. I bought it about a year ago for my daughter its in the antique white finish and is truly the most beautiful bed in the house. I will post some photos and hope that the quality will show through , also these are fairly heavy beds as well.

organic_smallhome Guest

Update. I wrote to Charles P. Rogers to inquire as to whether their beds are made in the U.S. Apparently, only the brass beds are made in the U.S. The iron and wood beds are made in the Phillippines. Here's the reply I received (below). My decision is now between a Wesley Allen headboard or an entire new bed from Brass Beds of Virginia. I like how Wesley Allen's factories are eco-conscious, but I also like how the BB of Virginia beds are made--with interlocking pieces, for ultimate stability, rather than nuts and bolts.

"Thank you for your interest in our beds and contacting us with your question.
    We own and manufacture in several factories. We do not contract out and everything we offer is made in house.
    The 100% all brass bed are manufactured in our Rutherford NJ location.
    All of our wood beds and iron beds are made in our factory in the Philippines where the
    mahogany is also plantation grown.
    The leather components of our beds are made in our China factory.Most of the tanning of hides today is done in China as well.
    If you have any other questions please let me know.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you."

Philippine Mahogany = junk wood

Their brass beds have to be made of sheet brass, because there are no more USA brass forges (last one closed in Waynesboro VA about 6 years ago). Most all brass comes out of India, some from China. The brass from India is better.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

No more USA brass forges??? That makes me furious. I wonder where BBVA gets their brass. In any case, I've decided on BBVA for the bed--and it will be iron, not brass. I visited a shop today with a couple of their beds displayed. Really nice work, I think.

Same old story.....Americans don't work in a forge for .75 and hour, and that means a brass candlestick from the USA cost $ 100 where the one from India was $ 30. Virginia Metalcrafters was the very last domestic brassworks, and they held on a long time, too long as a matter of fact. The two owners so wanted to keep their business alive and ran it until they were broke. VM used to do all the brass for Colonial Williamsburg and there was a period of time where there was no brass available from Williamsburg until Sedgefield by Adams picked up the line to be replicated in India. But the brass from India is decent, it really is.

Here's a little tip. If you ever seen a Virginia Metalcrafters piece for sale somewhere flip it upside down and look at the felt color. If the felt is green, it was made in the USA. If black, then it was made in China or India.
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

Great little tip! So the VA Metalcrafters name was bought by someone else, who continues to manufacture products under that name, in both India and China?

I have to tell you, I'm just sick about how many American businesses have collapsed under the weight of the Walmarts of the world. Very little seems to be unusual, interesting or well made any more. Everybody runs around buying cheap stuff from TJMAXX and Walmart (both of which should just merge and call themselves "The Crap From China Store"), Pottery Barn, IKEA, and Restoration Hardware (have you ever seen what the store samples look like after they've been out on the floor for a few months???), so that there is a flattening-out of and little variation in interior design in American homes. And the so-called "high end" stuff from Thomasville, Ethan Allen, etc. just looks like junk to me. Generalization, of course, but I see it over and over again. It reminds me of a "Twilight Zone" episode I saw about 40 years ago, about non-conformism. Sad.

Oh no, Virginia Metalcrafters is gone.

Sedgefield by Adams picked up many of the patterns that VM used to do, and actually improved the packaging on them. Its a decent product, but the brass is all made in India.

As to the rise of China goods and Walmart, its the American public driving the market. Just as was the case with VM, would you pay $ 200 for a pair of US-made candlesticks? Or would you rather pay $ 50 for a pair that look as good but are from India / China and have $ 150 to spend on something else? Retailers and Manufacturers respond go what the buying public wants...not vice versa.
    Duane Collie