Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass and/or Iron Beds: Recommendations?

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Brass and/or Iron Beds: Recommendations?

Well, speaking for myself, I would rather save my pennies and by the $200 pair of US-made candlesticks. Because I wouldn't just be buying candlesticks; I would be supporting American rather than Chinese or Indian labor. I think--and this is just my opinion, of course--that I would disagree with you on the manufacturers responding to what the buying public wants. When American business began to offshore American jobs, they didn't do it in response to what the buying public wants. And they didn't do it because manufacturing in America was too expensive. They did it because there was an even larger profit to be made by using super-cheap labor elsewhere and not having to adhere to stricter environmental laws. But now--and this is where you're right, I think-- quite a number of that buying public is willing to spend big bucks on substandard crap from Indonesia, the Phillippines and China. Restoration Hardware is not cheap, but so much of what they sell is cheaply made. Same goes for a lot of brands that companies like Cabot House sells. Look at this table from RH:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...ump&navCount=0

Made of "unfinished, solid reclaimed pine timbers from 100-year-old buildings in Great Britain." But where is it manufactured? And what 100-year-old buildings? And why is "unfinished" a desirable thing? Is it supposed to be somehow more "natural," appealing to the environmentally-conscious? The only thing missing from that description is "Lovingly buffed by virgins on Tibetan mountaintops." For $3295.00??? It's crazy.

And think of the environmental nightmare that "globalization" has brought us: Wasting huge amounts of energy on shipping stuff all over the globe. In my opinion, the only sustainable economy is a local economy. American manufacturing needs to be brought back home, and until American consumers step up to the plate and demand it, it won't happen. So, at this point in the game, I do agree with you: If the buying public continues to support the production and distribution of foreign-made products, there's no incentive for those jobs to be brought back home and Americans will have only themselves to blame for the loss of industry jobs and destroyed communities.

The one constant I have heard in the store since being in this business is "I like it, but do you have anything cheaper?" I hear it every day! And retailers pass that onto manufacturers, and the manufacturers look for a way to meet that demand to move product. They are forced to go to foreign markets for the less expensive labor and material.

But now guess what they are hearing? "I don't want anything from China".

That's been the buzz for the past 18 to 24 months in the industry and they are responding to that as well. Right now the hottest thing in the industry is "Made in USA", but guess what? The customer still wants it cheaper. So there is movement to keep production here, but take things out of the product to get the costs down. An example? Upholstery makers giving up on solid hardwood frames for laminated engineered wood (plywood). Moving away from 8-way hand-tied spring decks and using drop-in spring grids. Some leather companies are using the Splits on sides and backs of pieces rather than Top Grain leather and banking on the fact that 99% of the buyers won't know and 98% of the retailers won't tell them (or know themselves). Its a disturbing trend....because some of these producers are quietly changing the way they do their builds. And they most likely will be successful with this new approach because that leather sofa will sell for $ 1,499 and you can bet the largest tag on it will be MADE IN THE USA. Meanwhile, to get the sofa done right and still made in America you've got to put another thousand dollars behind it.

I almost bought into one of these 'reduced' feature lines. In fact I ordered some pieces in it recently to serve my customer looking for Made in USA at that $ 1,499 price point. If bugged me for days, however, because I know the content of the goods is compromised. After a week, I cancelled the order. I can't sell that, because I have no confidence in the product and would have to disclose to my customers the shortcomings of the product because I know its there. So, the customer that doesn't want to pay the price for a quality piece will have to shop elsewhere where another store will be more than happy to take their money and give them less than they may have bargained for. I take a lot of pride in carrying only quality goods, and only ones that I would have in my own home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

denali Guest

Organic,

I just came upon this thread and wanted to let you know you will not be disappointed in your bed from Brass Beds of VA. I received mine 2 weeks ago and I can't even explain to you how beautiful it is. The pictures of them do not do them justice. I looked at the Wesley Allen beds also but i thought the BBof VA beds were better made. We used to have a store in our area but the owners retired. I called BBof VA directly and spoke with Pat the owner. He invited me down to Richmond to tour the factory and see some of the beds in production. It was a 2 hour drive but I do drive to Richmond on occasion.

Pat was wonderful. He showed me every step in making the beds.I got to see them pour the molds, sandblast them and put them in the oven. Did see one woman handpainting the bed also. The one bed I had in mind was not at any finishing point and Pat said he had one ready to be shipped to his Norfolk store and was willing to take it out of the box and show it to me. I then spotted one ready for the oven so he didn't have to. In the end I didn't get that bed, but one similar to it on a smaller scale. I LOVE my bed, it is beautiful. I also feel it was made just for me.

If your still reading this thread post back when you get the bed and tell me how much you LOVE it.
    PS I ordered my bed from him and it was significantly cheaper from hime rather than the online stores. If you haven't already checked the official site ,watch the youtube videos on their beds

Nancy Guest

We have an iron bed from Benicia Foundry & Iron Works in Benicia, California. Check out beniciaironworks.com They handcraft all their beds and garden furniture in their family owned foundry here in California :>)
    The powder-coated finish on our bed is durable too.

organic_smallhome Guest

This is great news, denali. Thanks so much for the up-close-and-personal information. I was hoping against hope someone would respond with personal experience. Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your bed?

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you, Nancy! It's funny that you should post this, because we are in the process of deciding between Benicia and BBofVA. Could you, also, post a photo of your bed? Is it sturdy?

organic_smallhome Guest

P.S. Denali: I'm also encouraged that you were able to custom-size your bed. I eventually decided against Wesley Allen because their headboards are just too tall for our bedroom. I've found a few of the BBofVA styles and I've been wondering if it were possible to make the headboard lower. I like the Benecia option because of the eco-conscious production, but the BBofVA have no bolts or screws, pretty much ensuring stability.

I haven't made up my mind yet because I research stuff to death--driving myself crazy in the process. Will be ordering a new bed, one way or the other, however, by the middle of September.

Nancy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    Thank you, Nancy! It's funny that you should post this, because we are in the process of deciding between Benicia and BBofVA. Could you, also, post a photo of your bed? Is it sturdy?
    We have a queen Langley Iron Bed which is shown under the ANTIQUE REPRODUCTIONS at the Benicia foundry's website. It suits our small bedroom. Very sturdy (I bought it 15 years ago). I use a bed skirt with a matalasse coverlet and shams and a needlepoint pillow to decorate the bed. I would prefer that the structural part that supports the box spring to be more finished. It doesn't have the same powder coated finish as the frame and isn't as refined. However, It doesn't show at all under a bed skirt but if one wants a fitted cover on the box spring, then it wouldn't look so nice. The foundry's selection of iron beds has grown so much since my purchase.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you, Nancy. That's a beautiful bed.

I'm grateful for the information about the less finished support system, especially. That's something I will definitely keep in mind when making my decision.

denali Guest

Organic,

I don't have a picture of my bed. Unfortunatley, 2 days after receiving my bed I had to go home to deal with some medical issues with my parents and sister. I have been here ever since and won't return home for at least 2 weeks. I didn't even get a chance to get a box springs or matress for it. I haven't even slept in it yet.

You can customize the size of the bed. I had my rails 8 inches from the floor since I don't like high beds. He also dropped the headboard 2 inches. He can do anything you like. I would call Pat and talk to him about what you want. He had beds that customers waned 12 and 10 inches from the floor and headboards that were dropped 4 inches. Their beds are not made ahead of time and each one is customized for you. I do encourage you to talk with Pat.

Also there is a brass plate that he puts on the bed. Mine has our name, date purchased and where we live on it. You can put whatever you want on it.

When I get back home I'll try to post a picture whenever that may be!

I also research things to death before I buy, but am always extremely happy with what I purchase.
    The Benicia beds look beautiful also. Seems like they are made much the same way. I'm liking their patio sets.