Thread: Question about Nubuck leathers

McCall Guest

Default Question about Nubuck leathers

Duane,
    When we first started looking for a leather chair, and knowing very little about leather at that point, we were looking for one that was in a leather type we had seen previously on a few peices of furniture. it is thick and has a almost nap like feel, it is not suede however.
    I am wondering now if that was Nubuck leather?
    can you give a fuller description, and a picture would be helpful if you can manage it. We did not end up with that type of leather as you know I don't even remember seeing such a leather in any of the B&Y or the H&M samples that we looked at.
    Anyway I gather you don't see too much of it in the leather world, and so you don't hear much about it either.

Sounds like Nubuck! Bradington-Young does not use it, only the high-end leather houses do. Its expensive (Class V in Hancock and Moore), and cannot be cleaned. Almost never used on 'comfort pieces' its for high-style bedroom and sitting room frames. Here's a perfect example of that kind of piece it is used on, and how great it looks:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1293

LeatherMaster makes a NuBuck cleaner, but I've not tried it. I do sell some pieces in these hides, and they feel great, and look terrific. But its pricey and care must be take to not use like you would a family room piece, etc.

Tell you want though....if I walk into a customers home and see a classy frame with Nubuck on it, I know that THEY know leather and typically the whole house is elegantly appointed. Its nice stuff.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.