Thread: Shipping Basics

Default Shipping Basics

A primer on shipping furniture:

There are two basic ways to ship furniture: Common Carrier Truck and the Specialty Delivery Services. Both have pros and cons.

Common Carrier Truck:

Pros: Very fast transit times. Rates are reasonable if you ship at least 100 lbs and can take delivery at a business address (note that having a home based business does not meet the definition of the term). If properly packed, damage claims are low.

Cons: Must be well-packed to avoid damage. Drivers will load off the truck and little else. No unpacking service and inside delivery is limited. Steep upcharges for residential deliveries. Claims for damages can be a real headache.

Blanket Wrap Service:

Pros: No need to pack as in Common Carrier Ships, they will pack for you. Two men will bring the pieces all the way in your home and set them in your room for you. Good call-ahead service. Prices good if ordering more then one piece. They can do Sat/Sun deliveries in some instances.

Cons: SLOW. You can wait weeks for pickup and delivery as they must route more efficiently than Common Carriesr. Crews will not move old furniture or dispose of it for you. Most services demand to be paid via Money Order or Cashiers Check only.

As consumers its important to understand what the delivery/fright company personnel will do for you, and do not expect more. That's a frequent mistake people make and then they get angry because the delivery team will not move their old sofa into the basement, etc.

If you do want extras, offer a tip if you make a special request. Some drivers will take them, some not.

Damage claims are usually low, about 1 to 2 percent with either service. If you have damages, contact the shipper at once, not your selling store. Damages are the responsibility of the shipper. If a piece appears damaged beyond say a small marker touchup, REFUSE the piece! Never accept broken items and if you choose to do so, make clear notes on the Driver's copy of the Bill of Lading.

Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rjm65 Guest

Any experience with Plycon? I'm waiting to hear back on a quote for a blacket wrap shipment from San Diego CA to Southbend IN from them.

Yes, I've used Plycon several times. They do a good job, though the rates can be somewhat higher than others. If you made a request for an on-line quote from them and haven't a e-mail response within 48 hours then give a call out to their Torrence CA office and ask for the Rate Desk. They sometimes lose their internet quote inquiries. I have had only one damage with Plycon out of many ships.

You can also try Vintage Transport out of Atlanta, GA for a quote as well. On East Coast only runs (I know this does not apply to your order) the least expensive quality blanjet-wrap shipper I've found is Valley Trucking.
    Duane Collie

soster Guest

We also used Plycon once. This was years ago, but they were reliable and very expensive. For valuable items that are not crated, they may be a reasonable choice, since crating costs money and damage claims may be harder to collect on crated shipments.

Sarah Guest

I have had bulky, heavy furniture delivered by Plycon. They are expensive but did the job well!

When shipping long distances, such as from North Carolina to California, try to avoid purchasing one item that is smallish, such as a single wing chair, or a square cocktail ottoman. Shipping works on weight, and minimum charges are 100lb for most common carriers, and 150lb for most blanket wrap services. If you order a 50 lb wing chair, you're going to pay the minimum freight charge. Try to plan your purchases to order enough pieces in one shot to at least get to the minimums and thereby maximize your freight dollar payout.

Also, when asking for price quotes (from myself or any retailer) be sure to supply your city, state and zip code. We need all three to avoid having to spend the time to cross-reference the look-up data. Some shippers work on zip codes only, others are city/state only.
    Duane Collie