Thread: Clearance Sale Tips

kls_spencer Guest

Default Clearance Sale Tips

Hi everyone. It's that time of year when stores are changing their merchandise and having "floor model" sales and "clearance" sales to make room for new styles.

I will be in the area of Shofer's Furniture on Wednesday and have "special VIP passes" to their sale (I know, I know, I know). I think I will swing by and have a look and my question is this:

When shopping at a sale like this, where the original price or retail price is listed and may or may not be what the original price was (inflated a little bit to make the deal seem *great*) how do you discern a good value?

I understand what to look for in floor models with regards to the fabric/leather quality, the construction quality, etc. - thanks to Duane and this forum for all of that education. But I don't have a way to snap a pic and then send it to someone to check the price for me. I suppose I could call someone and have them do a little bit of internet sleuthing while I am at the store.

Does anyone have some tips for a sale like this? How do you know you are getting a good deal? This references Duane's earlier thread, I suppose, but if any other furniture-philes have tips for in-store sales and how to ensure you are getting a good price, I would appreciate it.

Default Re: Clearance Sale Tips

Tips:

* Pay no attention to the 'list price' or what we call the 'fairy tale price'. Its so ridiculously inflated it has no relevance.

* Do not be taken down the primrose path by a sale sign.

* A $ 2,000 sofa is a $ 2,000 sofa no matter what the signs say. Check the quality, look at the tailoring, pick up one leg on a corner off the floor? How far does it twist and rack before the other leg comes up? Pinch the arms, can you feel wood underneath? Look underneath..does the spring deck hang down from the base? When you sit in it, do you fall into the cracks of the cushions? Does the leather look natural or like Cheez-Whiz (over processed)?

VIP Pass! Wow... <g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.