Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" Governor Winthrop Desk

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: "New" Governor Winthrop Desk

Thank you for the helpful info, Duane. That last desk you posted is lovely. Is that something that you carry?
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 07-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Oh no, I don't have antiques! But in order to build correct reproductions, one has to know about antiques.

When 'The Keeping Room' first started in 1977, it was a high-quality antique store in Old Town Alexandria VA. With the Bicentennial in full swing, good American antique prices shot up and went through the roof. It became very difficult for a small store to carry fine, period antiques when the pieces were in the 5-digit figures per each, so we switched to well-made reproductions by 1981. Even today, the best American antiques will likely be at the better auctions. Unlike European antiques, there was never that much period American furniture made (Colonial America was a hostile country, fine cabinentmakers didn't want to be here), the transportation network was largely coastal and by ship, plus there were few wealthy people who could afford to commission a piece. So American antiques are rare when in top form. The trick is to identify the good forms and re-create them faithfully - and if shopping for an antique to know the form so you don't overpay.

Its only been the last five years that leather upholstery has overtaken period replicas as our primary category. And I investigate leather upholstery with the same curiosity that I do American antiques, which is why I learned a lot about it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

You're a wealth of information, Duane. I especially like hearing about the historical circumstances related to American furniture, so thanks very much.

I've attached a few more pics of that tiger desk, giving you more access to the construction. Does anything more reveal itself to you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5379.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	366 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	1397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6080042.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	373 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	1396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6080031.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	442 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	1395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6080019.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	448 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6080014.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	388 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	1393  

Yep! Sloppy construction. Drawer dovetails are cut on a jig and have more wood filler in the joints that I've seen in a long time (appears as an ivory/creamy outline of the dovetails). The gallery is (inside of the desk) is unimpressive and built outside the unit, then slid in and nailed in. Desk lid hinges are something I've never seen on a piece like that. Not the right way to do it.

Here's a proper gallery on a larger desk:

http://static.custommade.com/315_Chi...e_desk_big.jpg

Clearly the cabinentmaker who did this piece failed to do their research and build it correctly, which is too bad because it diminishes its value and it would take him no longer time to build it correctly. I would not personally buy a piece like this as it has so many faults I wouldn't enjoy it.

Here's a desk I had made to my specifications, copied off a period antique for my own personal use (has some doodling on the paper, sorry!) I had this built by the late George Beshore of PA in 1999. It was expensive, and it was exquisite. It took George a year to deliver it, and when it got here I put it in the store to show it off. A customer from Middleburg VA saw it and fell in love with it and had to have it. I had just bought a new house and cash was tight, so I sold it to her (!regret!) I asked George to make me another about three years later when I could more easily afford it and he said he didn't want to do another, it was too difficult. He had hand-turned all the trumpet vase legs and didn't want any more difficult turnings to do (he was 80 years old at this point, 77 when he made it for me originally). I forgot which customer bought it, but its out in horse country about 50 miles from here. If she ever wants to sell it back to me, I have a buyer for it <g> THIS is proper desk on frame (William & Mary period).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	1400  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks again, Duane. Amazon has some good used prices for that tome by Sack. I peeked inside: wonderful! First lesson: American furniture derived from rural England, rather than the upper-class furniture makers of London. Happy to hear it. I love learning stuff like that.

Both of those desks are amazing. Sorry to hear you couldn't get another one made to replace the one you sold. No chance you could look through your records for the customer who bought it? You never know: she might be ready to sell it back.

harland Guest

Wow - this is a great thread... definitely why I keep coming back to this forum. Incidentally, I picked up a book from the library today called, American Furniture: Understanding Styles, Construction, and Quality by John T. Kirk. Are there any other books out there that would serve as a good introductory guide?

EDIT: Nevermind - saw in the other thread the book by Albert Sack.

Nestle Guest

Can I just say that I completely disagree with Duane?

Here is why..........

Although you can tell that this was not a great depression era piece, it is definitely one Winthrop desk that I like. The reason is that I have a brand of furniture called Moosehead furniture in my home, that began around the same time period and your version matches that furniture almost perfectly.

Moosehead furniture went out of business a few years back unfortunately, but I continue to look for matching furniture to the brand, and your Gov. Winthrop design fits the style, the wood(almost maple), and the stain, not to mention the legs you chose to use. It is uncanny!!!!

I have loved Gov. Winthrop desks since I was a child. My grandmother had a dress shop many, many years ago, and I used to help her in her store in the summer time, and I would always go into her Gov. Winthrop desk with the bowed front when I was bored in the store, and play with the little gold stamp roll holder that held her roll of stamps. I must have cost her a mint in postage!!!!! LOL

When I see your desk, it brings me almost back in time. It is a different style, but it would match more current day style of furniture more easily. If I could afford it right now, I would buy it right this moment.........just for the memory of my grandmother.

Keep this style as you develop other styles and patterns. I think you did great!!!!