Thread: Bradington Young Married Leather

New to Leather Guest

Question Bradington Young Married Leather

I am looking to purchase two leather sofas. Thank goodness I found this forum, as I almost purchased
    two sofas from Bassett. After reading here about the leathers coming out of China, I called the Bassett headquarters, and was told that indeed the sofa I was considering was manufactured in China. I am now considering the Bradington Young "Dietrich" sofa, #660-95. I went to a furniture store in my area of CT and found the BY "Richardson" on the floor. The salesperson told me that the same choices were available for the "Dietrich" collection as well. Only three were offered from the 866 group. The one I'm considering is in the burgundy color, #9886-86. After reading all the information concerning these married leathers, I asked if by any chance these leathers were from China. The salesperson assured me that while they were not processed in the US, they were not from China. Seeing that Mr. Collie is a furniture dealer, I thought you might be able to give me the honest answer. Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Bradington Young Married Leather

The BY married covers are from China, I know from industry insiders whom I cannot name. However, BY will tell its dealers that call the Customer Service Dept. that they "Use no leather from China". I'm not sure what to make about that...but I'm more inclined to believe my trade source who is a mover/shaker in the world of leather furniture.

Most Chinese leathers have a certain 'look' to them that you can tell when you see them. BY married covers have that 'look' as well. So while I can't say with 100 % factual accuracy that they are, between those two data points I'd wager on it. Chinese leathers are not necessarily bad, but they do tend to look a little over -processed and on certain married cover pieces (mostly sofas/sectionals) they don't trim like they do in the USA-made cutting room.

You can buy the # 660-95 sofa in a higher grade leather, did they tell you that? In the Married Cover hides I sell that for $ 1,819 plus shipping. Go up to a King Street or London Park and you'll be at $ 2,239 (GR3) and $ 2,379 (GR4). You don't have to stay in the low end hides on that frame.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

New to Leather Guest

Thank you so much for all the information on the married covers. I definitely will not be making that purchase. The price quoted me was $2384.
    I also went to look at the "City" sofa by Hancock & Moore after reading the great reviews on it. The lowest price I found was $2700 in either Cavalier Mocha, Cavalier Henna or Cavalier Navy. I felt that this, too, was suspect. Would you be able to tell me what price you charge for the "City" sofa in a reasonable and safe grade? If I can afford it, I think it would be a safer bet to go for Hancock & Moore. Again, thanks for your help.

Hancock and Moore makes a superior piece, no question about it. Components are superior, and you get a real hardwood maple frame instead of engineered plywood. Yes, it will cost more, so while the Bradington Young is perfectly serviceable, the H&M is top of the class. I do not post prices on H&M pieces on the forum at their request, but will PM (Private Message) that to you. Cavalier on the H&M is a Chinese leather as well, just so you know. They do a pretty good job on that unit. Only the Mocha and Henna are Married Cover in model # 9840, the Navy is cut and sewn in Hickory NC at a higher price point.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.