Thread: Introduction and HELP!

rick1969 Guest

Default Introduction and HELP!

Hi,

Rick here. Family of three (10 year old son) and one dog. She is not allowed on any furniture. We are currently looking to replace our couch and loveseat. We are looking for more seating than those two pieces allow so a sectional seems logical. I'm working on a room planner site for the exact dimensions so I can get that figured out later. Here is my quandry. We found a Latitudes piece (breakthrough) that we liked, but after much research, I am leary of this line under Flexsteel. So, in the $3500-$4000 price range, what leather manufacturer do I need to be looking at? My wife loves the idea of reclining pieces, but that is not a deal breaker.

I would love any advice you all could provide.

Thanks!

Default Re: Introduction and HELP!

Hi Rick,

You're at the Catch-22 on this. For you to get a leather sectional in the $ 3,500 to $ 4,000 price range, you have to give up some aspect of either components or tailoring. USA-made sectionals that use hardwood frames, good hides, and proper foundations can't be bought for that. So that puts you back to the "Made in China" groupings such as Flexsteel Lattitudes, or something like Bradington Youngs ENVISION line where they keep in in America, but strip out all the good build components.

Some of my issues with the "Made in China" pieces are that parts are usually impossible to get. Try to get a recliner mechanism for the sectional end when its made off-shore and is 6 years old. Or even a replacement wooden foot because them movers cracked one....

USA-made pieces are tailored and cut and sewn to a higher level, and there is far less chance of 'junk' leather being used in the piece. Chinese workers will use pieces of leather that USA workers will cut off and dump on the floor. Like most things, you get what you pay for. We'd have to nearly double your budget to get you a well-made USA piece in leather with hardwood frames, 8-way hand-tied coils and good hides. Sorry.

I'm not a real big fan of motion pieces at the end of sectional when there are young kids in the house. I speak from experience (we have on in the basement media room), too many fingers caught in the mechanisms and too many trips to the ER to sew them up. Kids horse around on sofas/sectionals (not so much on single seat recliners) and when the mechanisms get closed on hands, skin gets cut. Two other points: The ends with the motion pieces wear out quicker and show it, and no one wants to sit in the non-reclining section! What I like better is a stationary sectional and a 40" Square Ottoman that is 2" lower than the seat height of the sectional. Works just as good if not better, and everyone gets to use it. You don't loose your more comfortable 8=way hand tied construction in the seats, and kids love to sit on the large ottomans to play video games.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rick1969 Guest

Duane,

I appreciate your response and candor. It helps. Here is our reality. While I completely agree that Built in the USA will get us a higher quality piece of furniture that would last years (10+) our habit is to get bored with the furniture and change it out about every 8-10 years. That said, if made in China will get us that timeframe at our budget point, what is your opinion on the best of the least (so to say). That might be an impossible request given the sheer numbers of manufacturers so all I'm asking for is pure opinion.

Thanks again!
    Rick

Rick,

I don't carry the made-in-China lines, so I really don't have an opinion on them one way or the other, I more or less lump sum them all into a category. If I were to pick one, I'd probably go with Randall Allen, which is Hancock & Moore's China-made line. At least they have a very good track record of customer support if something breaks or is defective.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.