Thread: Extending Hancock Moore Chair Height?

HappyJim Guest

Default Extending Hancock Moore Chair Height?

Hello, first post, but have gained a lot of useful information from this site. I am closing in on purchasing a H & M Sofa. Being over 6 foot, the seat height makes a tremendous difference, thus my choice of the Kodiak sofa (21.5" seat height) I am curious if Hancock will extend the legs on the Austin High-back tilt chair, and if it is a HUGE charge to do so (say from 19" to 21.5 or 22") I hate to start out putting it up on blocks. Also, is there a drawback to doing this? (make chair unstable, void warranty, etc.) I could switch to a Bradington-Young varitilt, but do not like the styles/quality as much.

Second question is aesthetics: I will wind up mis-matching Sofa, Ottoman, and Chair in terms of style, so perhaps better to go with completely different leather colors, or would this look even stranger?

Thank You for a great forum,

--Jim

Default Re: Extending Hancock Moore Chair height?

Hi Jim,

Are you sure you need the height extended on a 2038NB? I sell that to some pretty tall fellows, and even up to 6' 4" they seem to be pretty good in it. But if you want to go higher, that chair has screw on legs on Bun Feet (three screws per foot). Its pretty easy to find some existing screw-on feet in the line that are higher by 2" or so (perhaps the legs off the Grainger recliner). Charge to swap out to other feet in the line is nominal, and best part is if you feel you made a mistake you can buy the stock legs and screw them on yourself....its pretty easy.

Mixing up leathers on various styles is fun! That's actually my preference.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

HappyJim Guest

Default Re: Extending Hancock Moore Chair height?

Thank You Dwayne! As always good advice. For some reason, the sofas with higher seats are MUCH more comfortable, but you are right--not a lot of difference in the Austin high-back. Picked up both units, considering I have not owned a sofa in 15 years, lets just say I am over the moon--may never leave my Kodiak, LOL I hope I can send some business your way some day, but in the mean time: What is your current charity of choice?--know you are a cancer survivor, and I have certainly gotten more than a few dollars worth of information from you.

Default Re: Extending Hancock Moore Chair Height?

Good luck with your Kodiak sofa! I'm sure you will get many years of use out of it.

Charity of choice? Well, when I have some spare cash, I always send it to Johns Hopkins and tag it for Dr. Michael Choti's Research Lab. He's the guy that saved my life and why I'm still here today and he can always use the funds for his lab. How can you ever fully repay a doctor who literally pulled you back from the grave when your insides were all loaded up with disease and other doctors said "Get your Will up to date and enjoy your family while you can?" So yeah, Doc Choti's lab will always be my favorite charity!

Plus he told me something once that stayed with me, he said "Duane, we know how to cure cancer, we just don't have the money to bring the theory into reality".

https://jhweb.dev.jhu.edu/eforms/form.do?formId=10865
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.