Thread: Going to look at a Mitchell Gold sofa tomorrow

kls_spencer Guest

Smile Going to look at a Mitchell Gold sofa tomorrow

Hi y'all. I have a friend who is getting rid of their Mitchell Gold sofa and I am going to look at it tomorrow. I think it is about 5 years old. I know I have seen that name mentioned before - quality?

Best part - free!!! My understanding is it currently has a slipcover on it from Target and needs a new one. If it comes home with me, I think I will have one custom made as I can't stand to constantly rearrange loose-fitting slipcovers. And I will try to post pictures!

harland Guest

Default Re: Going to look at a Mitchell Gold sofa tomorrow

Here's a link to Mitchell Gold's construction FAQ...

http://www.mgbwhome.com/mgconstruction.asp

Can't beat the price, though!

organic_smallhome Guest

My understanding is that Mitchell Gold furniture is made in the U.S. and is of good quality.

If you like the sofa and decide to take it, you might want to contact Mitchell Gold for new cushions (depending on the condition of the cushions) and a slipcover. I considered having our old sofa custom-slipcovered and the price was pretty steep (including fabric)--so you might want to try MG, first. Even if the original sofa was not a slipcovered style, it's possible that MG still has slipcovers to fit it. You could just email them a photo of the sofa, if you don't know the style name or number.

Good luck, and I hope you post a photo!

I have always considered Mitchell Gold to be possibly the best styled sofas for the price. Their construction isn't bad either. In mid-priced upholstered furniture it is an excellent brand.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

kls_spencer Guest

Unfortunately, it did not come home with me. I found out it had been in the garage for a while, unslipcovered, as the bed for the family kitty. One of my children is allergic to cats and we steer clear, really really really clear, of anything with cat dander as it can be so hard to remove. No luck on this one.

Can't say I blame you. Used sofas are a lot like used mattresses, you get all the 'life' of the prior owner embedded in the cushions and cores and foam of the sofa, for better or worse.

My mother bought a used sofa from someone many years ago that had been in their garage and she became the new adoptive parents of a family of mice that made the move with it!

If you get a used piece of upholstery from a home where pets have been on or near the piece, be SURE to pull the cores out of the deck and look closely for flea eggs and larave (they're white, and small oblong flecks). If you bring flea eggs home with the sofa, you're in a world of misery as they move into your carpet and are very difficult to get rid of (and they eat on YOU at night when you're watching TV if there is no dog or cat in your home for them to get their blood meal upon). This is also why Health Departments forbid stores to swap out or exchange cushion cores once a piece has been delivered. Been there, done that as a kid fresh out of college taking free furniture.

I'm real cautious on used upholstery...you really want to see the environment it came out of before taking it home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.