Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and questions :)

harland Guest

Default Re: Introduction and questions :)

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    I do have the same concerns as organic_smallhome about what kind of chemicals may be lurking in products.
    Then don't read about leather tanning. Seriously. Okay, well, here's an excerpt:

Leather Tanning uses numerous toxic agents for soaking the hides. Consequently, disposal of wastewater was a pollution hazard, particularly prior to modern environmental regulations. In addition, since the leathers are made from animal hides, the disposal of waste hairs and animal flesh were also a source of pollution.
    As shown in the flow diagram, air emissions are still a factor in leather manufacturing. Emissions of VOC may occur during finishing and during other processes, such as fatliquoring and drying. Ammonia emissions may also occur during drying. Sulfide emissions may occur during liming/unhairing and subsequent processes. Particulate emissions may occur during shaving, drying, and buffing, unless controlled by dust collectors or scrubbers. Chromium emissions may also occur from chromate reduction, handling of basic chromic sulfate powder, and from the buffing process. The buffing operation also releases particulates, which may contain chromium.
    From Leather Tanning in Woburn

SeaBabe Guest

Thanks for the info on the tanning process....you learn something new every day.
    I have to agree...chemicals are always lurking in most products...have fabric furniture?? I am sure there is some form of protective coating on that. Obviously leather must be put through some sort of process...
    This is not to say that I want furniture made in China, chemicals or not.....

HappyJim Guest

Hi. There is a pretty good threaqd (although a couple of years old) on Gardenweb (google Gardenweb + hancocke moore) which discusses quite a few brands. I had been looking around for a sofa and chair for the last couple of years, and have found out that Dwayne in particular actually gives pretty good advice. I was initially looking at Flexsteel as well. In terms of fine details, you can spot quite a bit just by closely examining the stitching, how well the pieces match up, how evenly spaced the nail-heads are etc. If you look closely, you can spot some differences between Bradington-Young and Hancocke. In terms of build quality, better to read the other threads--BUT one thing that really sold me was sitting on used sofas at friends houses, as well as used stores. Americans are big people, and couches will end up sagging at some point. I have a bad back, and I noticed that the well made ones with a good spring deck not only sag LESS, they sag more EVENLY. What did it for me was sitting on a 15 year old Hancocke owned by some fairly large people--the seat dropped, but I was not sliding into a pronounced hole, or sitting with one hip higher than the other and my neck twinging. One of the only sofas I could actually stand to sit on for more than an hour! I finally bit the bullet, spent the money, and picked up a floor model Hancocke sofa & ordered a tilt-back chair as well. My wallet is hurting, but after watching a movie on my sofa last night, I took a nap on it and BANG ZOOM! Woke up and was not limping away rubbing my neck

Riddle Guest

Originally Posted by harland

Then don't read about leather tanning. Seriously. Okay, well, here's an excerpt:
    It's not leather tanning that worries me, since it's pretty well known that the whole process in nasty. I worry about surprises in things that aren't generally expected to be especially risky, like the wood, fabric and hardware. It's been over 20 years since I worked in the People's Republic of China, but I saw things that made enough of an impression to make me eternally cautious. I had hoped that things would improve with time, but the problems with melamine in foodstuffs like wheat gluten, rice protein and dairy products, and the more recent problems with tainted drywall have reinforced my caution rather than encouraged me to relax and lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJim View Post
    ... Hancocke sofa & ordered a tilt-back chair as well. My wallet is hurting, but after watching a movie on my sofa last night, I took a nap on it and BANG ZOOM! Woke up and was not limping away rubbing my neck
    Chuckle. Every time my husband sits on his H&M glider for more than 10 minutes, he naps off! Maybe H&M should market a line of "adult napping" furniture.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    It's not leather tanning that worries me, since it's pretty well known that the whole process in nasty. I worry about surprises in things that aren't generally expected to be especially risky, like the wood, fabric and hardware. It's been over 20 years since I worked in the People's Republic of China, but I saw things that made enough of an impression to make me eternally cautious. I had hoped that things would improve with time, but the problems with melamine in foodstuffs like wheat gluten, rice protein and dairy products, and the more recent problems with tainted drywall have reinforced my caution rather than encouraged me to relax and lighten up.
    Yes, there have been problems with products manufactured in the PRC, but I wouldn't point to US goods and say that they're somehow inherently superior either - what about all the salmonella recalls of peanut butter and e.coli recalls of ground beef and spinach? A big sticking point between US-South Korea trade relations was that Koreans believed (and maybe still do) that our beef is "tainted" (BBC: S Korea-US deal on beef exports). Not to mention Firestone tires, the Ford Pinto, Tylenol, etc., etc. The consumer in general always has to be cautious no matter where the product they buy is manufactured.
    Last edited by harland; 08-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.

SeaBabe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJim View Post
    I finally bit the bullet, spent the money, and picked up a floor model Hancocke sofa & ordered a tilt-back chair as well. My wallet is hurting, but after watching a movie on my sofa last night, I took a nap on it and BANG ZOOM! Woke up and was not limping away rubbing my neck
    The most crazy thing about my choice in furniture is that I am in a position now that purchasing H&M wouldn't hurt my wallet...If it was a cost issue, I wouldn't be hesitant on buying the England furniture that I just purchased...I would have had to buy that with no other choice.
    My issue was, this time I actually could buy what I wanted and I still chose the cheaper, likely not-as-well-made sofa, because they had a style I just couldn't find from any other manufacturere and I loved it.
    Insane, I know....
    BUT...like I said, because I don't want to keep a sofa for a very long time (I'd rather replace them because I get bored) and I loved this set, I just took the chance and ordered it. Obviously if it looks really shabby after a year or two, this will have been a big mistake but I won't feel too bad about it....I'll just stick it in the basement for use down there and go find a H&M sofa that suits me asthetically. It's a no lose situation for me.
    My hope is to get 7 or 8 years out of this sofa/loveseat with it looking and feeling good. That's all I want. If I don't get that, I move on to the next purchase.

I mentioned on another thread that I started, that I will keep everyone updated through the next year or two as to how this furniture holds up. I'll take photos along the way.
    I very much appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Thanks to all of you.

Riddle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by harland View Post
    ... but I wouldn't point to US goods and say that they're somehow inherently superior either ...
    Oh, I agree completely and said so in an earlier post. Our regulatory structures for safety are far from perfect. We also produce our own share of products that, while not dangerous, are junk.

Here's something worth a read. David MacNeil, owner of Weathertech Floor Mats (I have them in all my vehicles because they are the best available) has been running this ad lately about 'Support America'. And its true, I agree 100 %. Like he says:

"My philosophy is that if my neighbor doesn’t have a job, sooner or later I won’t have a job either."

http://www.weathertech.com/UserFiles...vidmacneil.pdf

And this is why when if you come into my store, you will find 98 % of the pieces are "Made in the USA". As much as I can control it - I only represent American-made products.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Yay! You're back!

Where can I purchase those floor mats, Duane? I've had my car for almost three years (will be paid off this November--hooray!) and have still not purchased floor mats.

http://www.weathertech.com/

I usually get them off their EBAY store.....get the EBAY points that way.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.