Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arhaus Hadley Sofa or maybe H&M?

Default Re: Arhaus Hadley Sofa or maybe H&M?

Thank you for the order! Most appreciated....and I am amused that your user name is 'smoothvirus' and you're in I.T. for a career <G>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    Thanks for all the kind advice everyone. Swung by Duane's store yesterday evening after work and ordered an H&M Kodiak with the black Caress leather. Should have it in mid-October.
    Oh yeah, the big K... great choice!

smoothvirus Guest

Well, I love my Kodiak, but now it is being slowly destroyed in front of my eyes. I think I made a really poor decision buying this couch in a house with cats. The cats front claws have been removed but the rear ones are still there. I don't like the idea of having their back claws removed, they've suffered enough.

The couch has huge ugly scratches in it now, from the cats playing on it while we are at work. At this rate it will be ready for the landfill in a year.

I bought a cover for it, which just made the couch look ugly, and the fabric was so thin that it did nothing. Now there's even more scratches in it.

I'm running out of ideas. I have seen scat mats which might train the cats not to jump on the couch, or get their nails trimmed and capped which is painless ( but annoying to the cats).

If it comes down to the cats or the couch then the couch goes. Don't know how much a damaged Kodiak goes for though.

organic_smallhome Guest

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened to your sofa. I can't imagine how frustrated and disappointed you must be. I don't think you can have their rear claws removed--I think it's illegal in most states. Fortunately. But there has got to be something you can do! I wonder if there's any way you can touch up the scratches?
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 04-01-2011 at 01:12 AM.

hglaber Guest

You could try claw caps. I don't have a cat so not sure how long they last or how much they cost, but it has to be cheaper than a new sofa.

That's a tough one. I called H&M today and asked around to see if anyone had any magic solutions, and there are none. Sorry. We can get touch up for the scratches, or you could order new seat casings in a fabric, or perhaps check with your Vet to see if there is a product to spray on the piece to keep the cats off, but that's all we could come up with.

We rarely have issues with dogs and leather furniture, but cats can be problematic.
    Duane Collie

smoothvirus Guest

Man, I feel bad about not updating this.

In desperation I went out and got a long "scat mat" from Amazon.

It worked! It keeps the cats off, they leave my couch alone now. I don't think there have been any scratches on it in the last year.

Of course I do need to do something about the already existing scratches from when they were playing on it.

The mobile repair companies (pick one!) will come out and for about $ 150 can do fantastic color and scratch repair.
    Duane Collie