Thread: Reinserting drawer with under side center slide

ditto Guest

Default Reinserting drawer with under side center slide

This is probably a silly question but here goes anyway. I have a 1950's sideboard with drawers that have a center slide (with ballbearings) attached to the cabinet. It has been in my basement for a while and I can't get two of the drawers back in. I recall having this same problem some years ago when I had to remove a drawer to retrieve something that was stuck but my Dad was around to put it back in for me. I thought I was paying attention, but apparently not intently enough. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Default Re: Reinserting drawer with under side center slide

On some pieces there is a upper lip on the back edge of the frame that requires you to tilt the drawer face up towards you about 10 degrees, insert that into the opening, then come to horizontal - align the bearing slides and push back in. That's done as a safety catch to keep the drawer from coming all the way out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ditto Guest

Thank you for your response. Yes, there is definitely a lip on the frame & I can get it into the first part but it won't catch on the 4 inch part that does the sliding. When I lower it back to horizontal & I push it back, it jams about a quarter of the way in where the slider stops inside. Another crazy question, how do you align the bearing slides when you can't see what's going on under there and have no control over the slider? If the slider were to stay put in the front of the track, I think I'd have a better chance of manipulating it so that it would catch. I remember my Father having a ****ens of a time with it before he got the drawer back in and he was an Engineer. I vaguely recall that it may have involved a screwdriver & too many expletives for a religious man to utter.

Its pretty hard to suggest a method without seeing what you're up against/ Have photos?

Sometimes you need to lube the track at the engagement point, get it well-greased up and it makes the joining easier. On very difficult pieces, I sometimes lay the furniture on its back, as this gives you a better angle to work with and keeps the slide in the piece. You can also get a visual on it this way and see what you're doing after the back lip is engaged.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.