Thread: An introduction and an inquiry

mjkitty7 Guest

Default An introduction and an inquiry

Hello. I am a first time sofa buyer on a budget looking for something of value manufactured in the USA. After months and months of agonizing research, I've found your wonderfully helpful and informative website.
    I'm looking for something in a high quality leather, that will withstand two cats, my occasional meals in front of the tv, napping and lounging (I'm 5'6"). I love the midcentury transitional styles, but I do consider comfort a priority as well as style. Many of the more modern pieces are too firm and not conducive to lounging and napping. I like clean lines and slim track arms and prefer a sofa with raised wooden or metal legs and a 2/2 style, though I'm open to 3/3. I'm leaning toward a combo down-feather/foam cushion, but I'm open to discussion on that too, because I don't want the high maintenance constant fluffing of pure down. Some nailhead trim would be okay. I will also be using some decorative pillows on the sofa.
    My New York City living room also must accomodate a dining and home office area, so anything that is visually "clunky" or overly ornate is out, as are huge rounded arms. My budget is about $2500-$2750, including delivery and tax. I've decided that a sofa is where I'll spend the bulk of my budget because I do want good quality. But I need alot of furniture - I'm starting from scratch. In terms of color, I like warm medium browns - yellow or red based browns; and deep reds, clarets, cordovans and burgandies; with a slight pull-up and a little glossy. I usually don't care for a "pebbled" matte leather, but do want a soft and supple hand.
    To give you an idea of what I like:
    I like the Pottery Barn Arlington (a Mitchell Gold Bob Williams); the MGBW Tyler in leather; and the MGBW Dexter in leather. Thought maybe the HM Dixon, Times, Ritz, or Donovan might work. Contrary in style to everything I just said, I also love a 2/2 English Arm Sofa on casters, but with a straighter leg -- like a traditional George Smith, George Sherlock, or the HM Foundation or Bradley; or the MGBW Anna in leather.

Hopefully, this enough info to get started. I look forward to hearing from you and learning from your years of experience.
    Sincerely,
    Mary Jo Roth

Default Re: An introduction and an inquiry

Hi Mary Jo, welcome to the forum.

First off, all bets are off when it comes to cats and furniture! I've seen some cats rip pieces to shreds, others never bother it in the least. So I'm going to say that no one knows your cats better than you - and why they may be inclined to do. If they decide to go after the leather sofa and they have their claws, then there is no hide that withstand the damage.

You are correct on the current contemporary and transitional styles not being as comfortable as traditional. Under all those clean, straight lines there is a piece of wood under the leather that isn't very comfortable to lay one's head on. Those round, full arms are much better in that respect. So balance style vs comfort as best you can and decide which is more important for your use. An English Arm splits the difference nicely.

Might be tough to work in your budget, however. You may have to increase that some to get the look you want in the quality that you would like. You can get some H&M Grade 2 hides that will match what you describe. In H&M look at Kipling, Yardley, Atticus, and Ryan series leathers. To stay within a budget on H&M, look at the Town and Country Promotion which you will find here on the forum in the LEATHER category - that's the best price points.

If you need prices, please Private Message me here on the forum.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.