Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Layout, Styles & Leather

Default Re: Help with Layout, Styles & Leather

HA! Sorry you asked now, eh Krissy?

I have go ask why does your husband like the TV up so high? Its at an uncomfortable viewing angle, gets heat from the fireplace (if you use the fireplace) and ruins the look on that wall (sorry to be truthful, but it looks out of place and stuffed in there).

First you have to decide where the TV is going to stay. If you move it to the wall on the side, or to the long back wall, it will totally change the room layout. I initially liked the TV on the large back wall, but after playing around with configurations couldn't come up with a good layout as it splits the room in half from the fireplace. Talk to your hubby and see if he's agreeable to relocate the TV and we can configure from there.....I can't emphasize strongly enough how I feel that TV is poorly placed above the mantle in your room...but if he doesn't want to budge on that - then he doesn't! The trouble with putting a sofa in front of the fireplace and being flanked with two chairs (swivel) is that you are going to be crammed all in on that one end of the room, and basically split your room in half with the furniture as well. Then you have "two" rooms to setup, and its hugely awkward that way. Or if you keep the layout like you now have it (in your photos) you have too much 'dead' space in the middle of the room. Apologies to your husband (not trying to rock the marital boat, here!)

Yes, those same barstools are available with a 24" height (see the alternate model number on the H&M site). Those are really handsome ones, they have leather on the back as well.

Columbia Butternut is primo for a Price Grade 1 leather, but its not Kipling, Dream or Ryan. I personally like Kipling and the new Ryan of those.

Keep working the room planner!

Quote Originally Posted by kmarcantel View Post
    Duane!

You just totally shook up my entire brain! Oh my. I am not sure that I can convince my husband to move the TV from over the mantle. . . that was his thing all along, but it sure might be worth a try. Do you think that would look okay given the columns and arched ceiling. (The master bedroom and bathroom on the first floor were an addition about 10 years ago and the columns and arched ceiling mark where the old exterior ended)

I am not sure about a sectional, but what about a sofa on the window wall and a chair on each end of the sofa that face each other that's still comfortable for TV viewing and conversation. Would make a U-shape around the coffee table.

And the bar stools. . . Swoon! We're shopping to replace those ones from the photo, but I'm guessing these are out of my budget. Anything with a seat height of 24"? Our counters are 36" so we'd need something around 24".

I went to a local H&M dealer today and checked out some samples. . . narrowing it down slowly. They had bigger samples. Columbia Butternut really surprised me. I keep going back to it. Also on the list are Kipling Java, Kipling Saddle, Dream Fawn and Ryan Chestnut. Any recommendations? Will any of those feel "stiff" when on a piece? Almost everything they had on the floor was T&C in Document or Cavalier. Some Randall Allen pieces on the floor too.

Okay. . off to the room planner to play with your idea!!

Thanks!
    Krissy
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Definitely not sorry I asked! I figure in instances like this, knowledge is power and can help you from making mistakes. When I'm working with clients, I try to give them all the information both good and bad and let them make the decision that's best suited to their lifestyle. So now that I'm the consumer, I'm trying to gather it all and then decide.

My husband is keen on keeping the TV on the wall it's on currently. We have everything wired there through the attic that's above the addition and to move it would be a challenge as the wall where the sofa table sits currently (side wall) is part of the original house and above it is the 2nd story and behind that wall is the powder room with a lower ceiling (84") that has HVAC ducting above it. Very strange house we have here. I do really like your idea though. Going to see if I lay it out on the room planner if he's more receptive to it. I agree with you about the dead space in the middle if we leave it as it is now. Kept scratching my head about how to find a giant cocktail table! And if we pull the arrangement off the big back wall it creates an odd division in the room. Too big for one seating area, but not big enough for two.

One thing to note though. . . he wants to re-do the fireplace surround and lower the mantle. I'm now on board with that idea whereas before I didn't want to start yet another project on this house. Probably won't happen for a while though. Knowing that the TV will be lowered to a more suitable height, does that change your opinion? I'm fortunate enough to be in the business that changing the fireplace is fairly easy. Although selecting a material (granite, quartzite veneer, or drywall) is another battle!

Are Kipling and Ryan slippery when they're made up. I noticed while test driving some chairs and sofas that some are slipperier than others and I didn't like feeling like I was going to slide out of the piece. Also don't want my decorative pillows to slide off!

I will PM you on sectional pricing and barstool pricing. Thanks again for everything! I oddly feel both closer and farther from making a decision.

Oh, one thing about a sectional. I had thought about one before and actually almost purchased one, but my biggest reservation is longevity in the future. They just seem so much less flexible should we ever move or want to put this furniture in a different room. I would guess that we'll be in this house at least 5 years, but if it doesn't work in the next house I don't think I'd want to spend this much money again. Should something like that factor into my decision?

You can move the TV easily and use Infrared Repeaters to make wiring relatively easy and stash components in a closet, etc. Lots of info on the web how to set up.

If you opt to stay with the TV over the fireplace, then perhaps two oversize chair and a half pieces on swivels about 6 feet from the fireplace, then a sofa another 6 feet from them (towards the back wall). Float the sofa and don't take it all the way to the back wall. Some chairs and a Half units can look very cool and be quite cozy, and with the swivel feature lets you watch TV or pivot to the sofa for conversation. Here's an idea of what I was thinking:

http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph...AIR_AND_A_HALF

Sectionals are fairly versatile provided the room doesn't get too small in a future home. They don't work well crammed into a small space.

Kipling and Ryan have some sheen and are a little 'slick' but not real slick.
    Duane Collie

Dustin, where do you live? Want to go shopping together? Sounds like we have the same taste!

As you can see above, Duane know has me considering a sectional although I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that yet. Out of the sofas I've looked at, Savant seems to be the answer although I haven't been able to sit in it. I sat in the City again today and it's too short in the seat for me. Can you give me any point of reference from that? (I'm 5'8", he's 5'10') Did you find it to be the most comfortable or best style of the stuff you looked at?

I sat in an Austin High Back Tilt Back yesterday and I now know what everyone is talking about. Holy cow that's a comfortable chair. I sat in a Neville which also was very comfortable, but seems to be discontinued. That chair was in Quintessence Saddle and I loved the way it sat and the way it felt, but fear we're not prepared for having that leather. Seems like we'd mess it up too easily. I'm leaning toward Kipling Java or Saddle & Ryan Chestnut in the aniline Gr 2's. . . I love the feel. But worry the Kipling is too shiny and Ryan Chestnut is a bit too red for us. So I'm struggling with that. What Gr 2's were you looking at?

What other chairs have you sat in? I sat in the Ritz which is nice, but a bit stiff. Love the look though. I missed your post initially because I was so distracted by Duane knocking me in the head with his TV moving campaign. Keep me posted on anything you guys figure out. Sounds like we're looking at very similar stuff!

Take Care.

Still going with the St. Charles Sectional for K's room....I think that would be sharp in there and provide excellent seating and design!
    Duane Collie

dustinh Guest

Where do we live? *Well, lately on myfurnitureforum.com...but once we make our decision, we'll be enjoying our new pieces in Palm City, FL. *

It's funny you ask about the City sofa. *I was tring out the Savant again today before we order it. Still liked it so I thought all was good until I sat in the City, which was even more comfortable. *Now we had scratched the City off our list a while back, but that is because we sat in the 9840, not the 9844 I sat in today. *That extra depth makes all the difference. *My wife is 5'5" and she thought the 9840 was OK depth, but it felt no good to me at 6'1". *The 9844 is a perfect depth for me. *Since I bounced back and forth between the 9844 City and the Savant at least 20 times, I can tell you that the Savant is slightly less deep than the 9844, but each are noticeably deeper than the smaller City 9840. *At your heights, you will like the depth of either the Savant or 9844, with the Savant probably being closer to perfect - especially for you. * The reason I think the 9844 was more comfortable is in the back height and the back angle. *The Savant has a slightly lower back (about 3-4 inches) and sits you up straighter, while the 9844 back sits right at the top of my shoulders and let's me lean slightly back.

Another very important point that I neglected to give much consideration to until today is what each is like laying down. *The Savant would require a pillow and I had to curl my legs. *The 9844 requires no pillow with that comfy rolled arm and I can stretch all the way out. *

We like the style of the Restoration, Savant, Campaign, etc. sofas better, but the lower backs and track arms just are not as conducive to comfort. *Don't get me wrong, the Savant is quite comfy....but if I'm going to settle in for a long movie, I want to be in the 9844 City, Journey, Austin, etc. *

Here's our grade 2 list (mostly med to dark browns, some have a little red, but nothing like Ryan Chestnut): *Kipling Java and Sand, Atticus Java and Sable, Lucas Tobacco, yardley cognac. *Outside of G2, we like Columbia, Garfield, old English, Capri, Quintessence, and Antelope. *I'm not worried about slickness with any of these leathers. *I sat in a Kipling piece today and the leather is much nicer than it samples. *

Not many chairs as we only want a tiltback. *Austin is incredible, Mcintire is average. * Sofas I can remember in addition to both Citys and Savant: journey(very comfy, opposite of our style), sundance (too deep and steep), Austin (ugly had triplets), Kodiak (big, taller back than it needs to be), rugby and Leslie (pretty comfy, like other styles more), restoration (good angles, dimensions and style, but the foam back is not soft enough), journal (like style, but the upper back curves away from your head). *Those are my opinions of course. *

BTW, I agree 100% with Duane on the TV. *

Good luck, and we'll keep you posted. *

Hmmm. Palm City, FL is a long way from St. Louis, MO. Darn.

I also found the depth of the 9840 City to be too shallow for me. It could be okay if I only sat upright all the time, but who does that? My parents have one at their lake house (bought it about 2 years ago) and I always thought it felt small. Well last time I was there, I found out it was the H&M City and at least had a reference of size to compare to for models I can't sit in. The angle of the back was okay and I liked where my head & neck hit, but it was just too shallow.

Is the Savant that much shorter in the back than the 9840? Not sure I will like that. The specs say the Savant is 36.5"H and the City is 36"H and the seat height is the same, so why do they feel so different? Does the Savant sit that much more upright?

Duane - are there specs available that show the pitch of the back & back cushion height for any of the pieces? How does the Savant compare to the Leathercraft 920-00? The 920-00 felt short in the back height to me (part of why I haven't bought it, price is awesome) and it hit me below the shoulders which wasn't great. They look to be very similar in style and the dimensions are almost identical. Both are 36"H, Seat depth 22" and seat height 20". So will it feel like the 9840 which is okay or the 920-00 which is short? Now I'm worried about the height of Savant.

I've narrowed it to Kipling or Columbia. Ryan Chestnut was too red and when I reconsidered the Atticus and Lucas they felt really stiff and I worried they'd be stiff on a piece. We're thinking kids soon so I wonder how hard their spills will be to wipe off unprotected Kipling, especially if you don't see it right away. Anyone know?

Journey Chair I saw was way too tall looking in the back. Just looked weird. Kodiak is big, but comfy . Austin is just not at all my taste.

How did you like the feel of Rugby and Leslie? Both are pretty good looking. I tend to like formal, clean lines on chairs, but then am disappointed when they aren't super comfy. So I have to find a balance there. Have you seen anything that fits that bill? We're really limited on H&M stuff to look at in person here.

My goal is to decide by this weekend, but I'm wondering if I will be able to. Did you and your wife get any closer to a decision today?

And I like you have lived on this site for the past few months. My husband groans when he sees it on the computer

Its a tough thing to buy on specs, or compare pieces and make buying decisions based on them. So many other things come into play, such as spring rates, back angles, cushion density (and thickness) that its really difficult to say X is better than Y because of value Z. Plus H&M has a 2" variance in all dimensions during production, so a lot of those numbers will flex on a final build.

I can't say how the Savant will feel next to the L/C 920-00, I don't have them in the store to compare and haven't sat in either lately, sorry!

Keep in mind those leathers that might seem stiff on the samples haven't been handled yet, A number of leathers will loosen up and change color going through the upholstery process, being stretched, handled, pounded on, etc. Kipling is easy to live with - I have it on my recliner (1044 Sadler) at home and its not been problematic in the least, and we don't pamper our family room furniture.

Journey is tall in the back. Kodiak is big. And Austin won't win any 'best design' awards but it sure does sit well - you're absolutely right on all three.

LOL...is your husband reading the posts? MOVE THE TV !!! <chortle>
    Duane Collie

Oh Duane. You make me smile. . . a big, fat grin. My husband doesn't read the posts. He sees it on the computer and walks the other way. Actually said about five minutes ago, "This whole furniture thing is getting old." Poor guy, all he wanted was new furniture about 4 months ago. He didn't sign up for this or me going crazy over models and leather samples.

How about this. . . if it were you and you were buying a sofa, (put the sectional on hold for now and just talk style and comfort) knowing my style, what would you pick? Would the Savant be comfy enough for you? I do use decorative pillows and am used to laying on them based on our current sofa that has only a slight curve to the track arm.

Can't tell you all how grateful I am for all the advise. Hopefully someone else out there is looking for this info too!