Thread: Requesting Leather Samples

Default Requesting Leather Samples

I process a lot of requests for leather samples daily, and do that by sending in a fax to the various makers listing the leathers chosen. A few things to know when you order samples:

* They are generally sent at no charge to you, and for the most part you do not have to return them.

* Samples are mostly made from scrap leather that is 'cut-away' during the production of a piece. What you are getting in the sample is the cast off leather, so its very important to realize that the sample you have may have a very poor texture (Belly or Neck area leather), or serious flaws on it. You will not get these flaws on your ordered piece. For example, today a customer showed me a sample of Capri Harness that was mailed to her (Hancock and Moore) and it was a horrid piece of leather, nowhere near what she actually would get. It was so bad that I gave her one of my dealer samples to replace it, and tossed her old one in the trash. Don't rely on the sample to be accurate.

* A few years ago most folks requested two or three samples, now it's a dozen per request. And because of that, the manufacturers have responded by reducing the sample sizes to the smaller 1.5" x 2.5" rectangles instead of the larger 6" x 8" dealer handle swatches. It's too costly to send out that many large swatches per request. However if you need just one or two samples, request DEALER SIZE SWATCHES and you'll get the larger ones..
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Requesting Leather Samples

How long to get samples? Well, since the installation of Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General on June 15, 2020 the USPS is not what it used to be. He had mandated cuts and delays in getting mail are substantial. Last week alone I had eight phone calls from customers wanting to know where their samples were? They are mailed out promptly, the trouble is the Post Office under the new policies. You can easily read about it by doing a Google search if you like. Some sample packages are taking two weeks to arrive.

If you want to samples in a timely manner I can instruct for them to go out via FED EX and they will get there quickly and with a tracking number. The cost for this is $ 13.00 to cover the Fed Ex charge. You can paypal that to keepingroom@gmail.com or call the store with a credit card to cover that cost if you like. Now you have a choice in how soon they arrive.
    Duane Collie

Default Re: Requesting Leather Samples

My son mailed me a birthday card from Richmond VA (90 miles away) on July 18th, it arrived yesterday on August 3rd. That's 16 days. I don't agree with the plan by the current Administration to decimate the USPS, but it's happening now. Time to write your elected representatives to voice your opinion to them.

Here's a good article on it:

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-...ostal-service/

Once again, if you want your samples or parts on time, I recommend paying the Fed Ex or UPS fee to make sure they get to you in a few days, not weeks.
    Duane Collie