Thread: Requesting Leather Samples

Threaded View

Default Requesting Leather Samples

I process a lot of requests for leather samples daily, and do that by sending in a fax to the various makers listing the leathers chosen. A few things to know when you order samples:

* They are generally sent at no charge to you, and for the most part you do not have to return them.

* Samples are mostly made from scrap leather that is 'cut-away' during the production of a piece. What you are getting in the sample is the cast off leather, so its very important to realize that the sample you have may have a very poor texture (Belly or Neck area leather), or serious flaws on it. You will not get these flaws on your ordered piece. For example, today a customer showed me a sample of Capri Harness that was mailed to her (Hancock and Moore) and it was a horrid piece of leather, nowhere near what she actually would get. It was so bad that I gave her one of my dealer samples to replace it, and tossed her old one in the trash. Don't rely on the sample to be accurate.

* A few years ago most folks requested two or three samples, now it's a dozen per request. And because of that, the manufacturers have responded by reducing the sample sizes to the smaller 1.5" x 2.5" rectangles instead of the larger 6" x 8" dealer handle swatches. It's too costly to send out that many large swatches per request. However if you need just one or two samples, request DEALER SIZE SWATCHES and you'll get the larger ones..
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.