Thread: Requesting Leather Samples

Default Requesting Leather Samples

I process a lot of requests for leather samples daily, and do that by sending in a fax to the various makers listing the leathers chosen. A few things to know when you order samples:

* They are generally sent at no charge to you, and for the most part you do not have to return them.

* Samples are mostly made from scrap leather that is 'cut-away' during the production of a piece. What you are getting in the sample is the cast off leather, so its very important to realize that the sample you have may have a very poor texture (Belly or Neck area leather), or serious flaws on it. You will not get these flaws on your ordered piece. For example, today a customer showed me a sample of Capri Harness that was mailed to her (Hancock and Moore) and it was a horrid piece of leather, nowhere near what she actually would get. It was so bad that I gave her one of my dealer samples to replace it, and tossed her old one in the trash. Don't rely on the sample to be accurate.

* A few years ago most folks requested two or three samples, now its twelve to fifteen per request. And because of that, the manufacturers have responded by reducing the sample sizes to the miserable little 1.5" x 2.5" rectangles instead of the larger 4" x 6" dealer handle swatches. Its just too costly to send out that many large swatches per request. In my opinion, you can't get enough leather from the small samples to make a good buying decision, but I can appreciate why the suppliers had to go this route, its a tough economy. However if you need just one or two samples, request DEALER SIZE SWATCHES and you'll get the larger sets. If you want larger sets on a dozen samples, then that's do-able as well but we would have to get a price for the charge to do so - they won't be free.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Default Re: Requesting Leather Samples

So I can just order swatches thru Hancock and Moore or do I have to go to a local dealer? Hancock and Moore has a great site, and I love looking at the sofa's etc. Just wish they would indicate the hide that is shown. I guess that's too much too ask, I do like the site, I finally found a Stickley store, unfortunately they did not have too much of Hancock and Moore in the showroom. Nor did the salesperson offer for me to take a few swatches home. I did really, really love the Austin sofa on the floor, which the salesperson tried to sway me towards in the document leather. I did not love that leather but did the sofa. I'm still researching have alot to learn. thanks again

HussainSutani Guest

Could you please send me the couple of leather samples for Dark Brown Shades for sectional sofas. My email address is ytruely@gmail.com

Sample requests must be made to me via Private Message on the forum or email to sales@keepingroom.com. Include the ones you would like and your mailing address. No charge for samples.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for