Thread: Mattress questions

Mhillgal Guest

Default Mattress questions

Duane, I followed you from Gardenweb, where gave great advice to the folks there. I am looking for a new mattress set and prefer plush mattresses. I have been looking at Shifman, but the two that I like are very expensive ($5,800 and up).

I found a mattress that I liked from "Natural as Sleep", but the store has discontinued this line and is selling what they have left. They did not have the size I need; full. What do you know about Natural as Sleep and is it worth the search to find it?

I also tried a Kluft latex mattress, but was concerned since you can't turn the mattress only rotate it. Is the Kluft a good mattress?

I tried a few Royal-pedic mattresses, but the store in my area only had firm mattresses and I found them to be too hard. Is there a royal-pedic that you would recommend for someone who prefers plush mattresses?

TIA

Shifman makes an excellent product in their upper tier categories. They have tied themselves pretty tightly to Bloomingdale's however, and Bloomies runs high margins, so the deals one used to be able to get on Shifman have pretty much evaporated. The lower grades of Shifman, built to be 'price friendly' give up too much on construction and I would avoid.

"Natural as Sleep" and Kluft are two lines I do not know enough about to comment on, sorry.

Royal Pedic builds a little differently. All their beds are based on the same core (both cotton and latex models), then "featured-up" with toppers or various denisty changes in fiber pads. You're not alone in finding the base all-cotton very firm, I'd estimate that 60% of my customers add the 3" Removable topper to their bed and find thats a near-perfect combination (that also happens to be the combination I sleep on). The Latex R-P line is quite a bit softer than the all-cotton as well.

The key to remember is that most new beds will all feel good. Its how that bed feels to you five years later, and then ten. Of course, there's no way of really telling other than reading the experiences of other consumers via the internet and forums like this.

Good luck!
    Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Mhillgal View Post
    Duane, I followed you from Gardenweb, where gave great advice to the folks there. I am looking for a new mattress set and prefer plush mattresses. I have been looking at Shifman, but the two that I like are very expensive ($5,800 and up).

I found a mattress that I liked from "Natural as Sleep", but the store has discontinued this line and is selling what they have left. They did not have the size I need; full. What do you know about Natural as Sleep and is it worth the search to find it?

I also tried a Kluft latex mattress, but was concerned since you can't turn the mattress only rotate it. Is the Kluft a good mattress?

I tried a few Royal-pedic mattresses, but the store in my area only had firm mattresses and I found them to be too hard. Is there a royal-pedic that you would recommend for someone who prefers plush mattresses?

TIA
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Mhillgal Guest

Thanks Dunane.

To continue, I found a store in my area that sells and displays the Royal Cloud pillowtop. This set was very comfortable, but I wonder how the pillowtop would wear. It was also very expensive; only a little less than one of the Shifman sets. What is a reasonable price for this mattress set in full?

The top of that unit is made of 100% latex and should last the life of the bed with no problem. Hard to say what a reasonable price is, I sell that unit for $ 4,962 with the box spring and that includes delivery anywhere in the continental United States. What are their prices? <just curious?>

You can save a little money and get the All Cotton with the 4" Latex topper which is virtually the same bed less the underneath bottom pad, and that would come out to $ 3,426 (my prices, delivery included). I doubt you would be able to tell the difference other than the lower overall height.
    Duane Collie

Mhillgal Guest

I was quoted a price of $5,441, with free shipping. The bed was very high, but I was told that the box spring comes in two sizes and that I could order the shorter box spring. Would this work with the lower box spring?

My new bed is arriving on Thursday, so I want to see what size mattress would work best with the bed frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhillgal View Post
    I was quoted a price of $5,441, with free shipping. The bed was very high, but I was told that the box spring comes in two sizes and that I could order the shorter box spring. Would this work with the lower box spring?

My new bed is arriving on Thursday, so I want to see what size mattress would work best with the bed frame.
    Depends on the type of bed this is loading into. On the type of beds I sell in my store (reproduction beds with 7" side rails), the shorter box spring rides inside the bed BELOW the rail. That makes putting on the fitted sheet over the mattress a real knuckle buster if the matt is below the side rails.

You want your mattress to be be easily accessible to install fitted sheets on it, so the box spring has to be taller than the side rail system.
    Duane Collie

DesignerN Guest

You can also purchase Shifman from Stickley Showrooms at Great prices!!!

8. 03-05-2010