Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

Default Re: Restoration Hardware Sofa & Alteratives

There are thousands of brands in the North American furniture market - its impossible to have detailed knowledge of all of them, even for the most enthusiastic furniture connoisseur. Your best bet is to research the forum and LEARN what makes a good piece of furniture then use your eyes and hands and assess for yourself. With a little training and knowledge, you'd be surprised how quickly you can separate the wheat from the chaffe.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rafree1 Guest

Okay, I'm SO confused. RH is having a sale right now and the Lancaster in the 84 inch wide and 43 inch deep is 3400 dollars.

Here are the specs on the build. I want it in the "Glove" which is a semi anniline from South America. I am wondering what is wrong with this sofa? I'm not sure about the spring suspension and that's the only thing since it is saying it is kiln dried hardwood frame and the rest of the build looks okay. For that money what can I get that is better than this. There is fifteen percent off on this sofa right now....If I took it in the regular Brompton Cocoa it would be even less as I chose a different color. Reason being they don't have DARK Brompton Cocoa up there and it looks reddish brown to me and lighter than what I really wanted so looked at "Glove" instead. However, I did not order yet. Opinions welcome. I'm really wanting to get a sofa ordered and get a build going. Btw, I am in Canada now so that's where it needs to ship to. RH has a flat rate of 345.00. ONE OTHER consideration. Duties are waived if the sofa is made in the U.S.A. so if it's made in China I'm going to be looking at a higher price and likely will try to find something else.

Also, the build on the Kensington which I really like is the same as this sofa but, it's outrageously priced for what it is. No way, I'm not paying six thousand plus tax for a sofa when I have a dog and teenagers! Not without it being Hancock and Moore I'm not..
    FEATURES
    Exceptionally luxurious at nearly 4 feet deep, Lancaster features down-blend cushions
    and is available in 11 rich, premium leathers. Italian Brompton Cocoa leather – Lancaster’s
    stocked leather – is a natural material with inherent variations in color and texture that
    make each piece unique.
    • Available in 11 premium leathers and 56 stain-resistant fabrics
    • Available in 43” and 49” depths
    • Sofa available in 6 lengths
    • Hardwood feet in brown oak finish
    • Kiln-dried hardwood, double-doweled frame
    • 8-way hand-tied spring suspension for superior durability, comfort and quality
    • Corner-blocked joinery
    • Cushions are backed in plush fabric which allows cushions to breathe for sink-in comfort;
    top portion of each back cushion is backed in leather
    • Seat cushions have down-blend fill (feather and down wrapped around a 4½” foam core)
    • Coordinating back cushions are a blend of feather, down and polyfiber

I'd say if you've tried the sofa out and are happy with the way it sits and the hand of the leather then go for it. I don't think you have to be concerned about the build quality, I've seen and sat in that model not too long ago at RH and while its not a sofa I would personally buy based on the feel of the piece to me - I didn't see any thing that concerned me or gave me pause about the way it was made. Shipping is about right to Canada at $ 345, but you will still have customs / brokerage fees and GST tax on top of that amount as I'm sure you know. I ship quite a bit into Canada and even though the product is USA-made the additional fees (other than the shipping itself) to go into Canada do add up.

That sofa sits very deep. Make sure that deep sit is what you want is my only word of caution. Let us know how it goes!
    Duane Collie

Rafree1 Guest

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I am looking at other alternatives still as I'm nervous spending this much without being assured of build quality. I have looked at Braddington Young but, also have been reading these forums. It seems they aren't as great as they used to be? I"d LOVE Hancock and Moore and maaaybe would stretch that far. I still have some looking around to do.

As far as customs goes...if the piece is made in the USA some fees i.e. import type taxes are waived now due to the cross border agreement so I wouldn't have those if I don't choose this sofa. However, I would have that shipping and HST issue. That would happen ANYWAY. Even if I go into a store here and order it, then it's most likely imported and most likely those costs are passed on to me.

Very deep? I am in Kingston, Ontario. There is no RH here but, there is one in Toronto. I haven't sat in this exact sofa...I'm still shopping as I said. I'm just worried these days about so many things costing what they do and then it ends up they are part MDF or some other low quality made in China. I'm looking at what you offer as well as I see you do ship here. I'm used to having things shipped here. I am American and my whole family are in the southern states so I am constantly having things sent up here! haha.

Aside from the sofa I can't get Rotel up here and need cases shipped to me. haha!

I'd not be too concerned about Restoration Hardware build quality - if you were talking Pottery Barn it would be a different story. Mitchell Gold used to build the RH product, and they still may, but I'm not positive about that. And Mitchell Gold turns out a decent product. Bradington Young builds a decent piece as well - but its not Hancock and Moore (neither is RH).

Correct, NAFTA eliminates import taxes, but that doesn't get you around customs and brokerage fees, nor that painfully high tax rate you have in Canada. Here's a sample of an order I'm doing for a customer in Canada right now that is going into Ontario:

310lbs. Value $ 8,046 (USD)
    Freight: $ 173.20
    (FSC) : $ 37.93
    Total: $ 211.13 CDN / $ 211.69 USD

Customs Estimate:
    $ 8,046.00 CDN
    $ 1,045.98 (HST)
    $ 50.00 Handling
    $ 6.50 (HST)
    Total: $ 1,102.48 CDN

And that's a curbside drop, in-home delivery is additional

Kingston to Toronto is not all that far (my wife is from Madoc, Ontario)...make the drive and go try one out. See if you like the big depth and lower seat height of that piece before you commit to buy. Given reasonable care, that's a 20-year + investment so burn a day and go check it out in person is my recommendation.
    Duane Collie

Rafree1 Guest

Your wife is from Madoc? Oh! We lived out in Lyndhurst for quite a while but, my husband now works at Queen's U. and that was a killer r/t. drive in winter.

I see what you mean. Yes, that HST is extremely high. 15 percent combined tax..meh!

I wouldn't buy from PB. That's almost as bad as Ikea. It's not even cheaper either. You end up buying a new sofa every four years or less.

I will be in touch with you probably. There were several Bradington Young sofas I liked. It's too bad H and M. are so high...over four thousand is getting a little rich for me on a sofa. Anyway, thanks for your input the depth on that RH concerns me a bit so yes, I'll take a little jaunt to T.O.

furnituredave Guest

any updates on this? has anyone purchased the Lancaster or any of the knock offs? If so, can we get reviews?

bobllama Guest

Just wanted to chime in with my experience with leathergroups.com. Super responsive, they were the original manufacturers of the Maxwell. They offered a far wider range of leathers than RH (including anything that Moore and Giles sells), though they didn't have the exact same leather as RH on a few options. But in the end I got something great, they did 8-way hand tied and they were having a sale on 5-year warranty.

Jerry was super responsive. My only quibble would be it took a bit longer than expected and I was given a couple ETAs that ended up being inaccurate by a week or two. But overall, for the price and quality, I'm real happy.