Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H&M Cleaning Regimen

Exclamation H&M Cleaning Regimen

As of late there as been some confusion how to best take care of your leather furniture, complicated by the fact that H&M has recently been putting a tag on their seat deck that instructs the customer to "Contact the dealer for cleaning instructions or Leather Master."

Prior to that, H&M recommended only mild soap and water, and in their warranty policy (posted elsewhere here on the forum) it specifically states that they can only be responsible for the finish that is applied at their factory. In other words, if you used another product on the hide other than soap and water, they would not warranty any hide issues such as a delamination of topcoat (Flaking of the clearcoat).

Because I pride myself in having the RIGHT answer (rather than just have an answer ), I called Tim Rogers today, President of H&M, to discuss this at length. Tim is the main leather expert at Hancock and Moore, and as President of the company , the buck stops with him so to speak.

Tim told me that if the correct Leather Master product is used on a Hancock and Moore hide, and there is a problem, H&M will stand behind it. That means to use a finished (pigmented) product on a finished hide, and aniline products on aniline hides, nubuck on nubuck, etc.

However he also told his preferred cleaning method is a damp rag. If soap is needed, use a mild soap (like a bar of Ivory soap) in a small amount mixed up in a small bowl. Small amounts are important...do not overdo it. What is important is to get all the soap residue off the hide to prevent it from drying out the leather.

There are lots of other leather cleaning products out there, this advice is applicable to Leather Master products only. Use another brand such as Lexol, or Guardian, etc., and you're on your own!

So there you have it. Take it easy with the soap, or use the Leather Master kits if you like (I sell them in my store and use them on my leather furniture at home).

Remember too, clean leather lasts a very long time. Its built up oils that attack the tannins in the hides and cause the leather to crack. Clean it twice a year and you should never have any leather deterioration issues.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

McCall Guest

Duane,
    what if you have particularly oily hair? LOL should I make it three times a year or what?

I put 2x a year down mainly because that works for most households. If you see any build-up on the surface of the leather, or a sheen change in an area, then its time to clean it off. The fact is most people don't clean their leather furniture at all, and if they did it would extend the useful life of a quality piece by many, many years.

The very first piece of Hancock and Moore I bought for myself was in 1988, twenty years ago. The Woodbridge Recliner. I still have it in my house and use it every day, and it looks GREAT. The Reason is I clean the hide on it (and all my other leather pieces in my home) periodically. I probably need to replace the back bolster cushions, they're a little 'sacked' (and H*M replaces these free of charge to the original owners), and then it will be good for the next twenty.
    Duane Collie

menghsiu Guest

Still waiting for my couch to come. Can't wait.

Mean while, should I clean the couch as soon as it arrives? And will the Leather Master Maxi kit be good enough for my City Cavelier Henna?

Oh no, you'll be good to go for at least 6 months before you need to clean it. And yes, the Leathermaster Kit will work just fine on that leather.
    Duane Collie

doglover Guest

My chair is aniline leather. Which Leathermaster cleaner is best---soft, strong or the foam cleaner?
    Thank you.

Use the soft cleaner, its very mild.

The strong cleaner has to be used very carefully as it will remove color on some leathers. I only use the strong for the worst kind of marks, such as ink or blue jean denim color transfer, and even then I go very slow as if color gets removed it will look worse than the original stain/mark.
    Duane Collie

McCall Guest

Duane,
    Where can I purchase the LC soft cleaner? my dealer only sold Guardian products.
    and now I am in CA of course. Haven't seen anyone around here with it either.

Whoops! Must have missed this one.....sorry.

Leathercraft Products are made by Uniters Corporation, and also recommended by Bradington-Young. I sell the cleaning kit (soft cleaner/conditioner) in the 250 ml size for $ 29.95 (plus shipping):

http://www.uniters.com/int/file.php?file=16
    Duane Collie

Linnea Guest

My H&M sofa and chairs were cleaned with mild soap and water for 21 years, and still looked great, except where Jack the bulldog chewed on the edges a little bit. You could hardly notice that damage, unless you looked closely in a bright light. I had navy blue.

Unfortunately, my pound puppy shredded things, and I am now in the market for new things. I probably would never have needed new furniture if he hadn't had separation anxiety, and many, many dogs and kids had slept on the chairs and sofa the entire time I have owned them. That is why I am looking at H&M again.