Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H&M Cleaning Regimen

eft Guest

I just saw a commercial from Swiffer for a new product called Dust and Shine they say can be used to clean leather?

menghsiu Guest

Default Leather Master

Since Leather Master is the one that Hancock and Moore will back their warranty, where could I get this product online? I've tried and found costco in Canada carries it.

I'd be careful on using anything not recommended by the leather maker. The reason is if you have an incompatible product that you put on your leather, you will not see the damage for some time, typically several months to a year. What typically occurs is the topcoat of the hide will crackle and start peeling off, and when that occurs the leather is ruined and will deteriorate rapidly from that point.

H&M recommends ONLY water, mild soap and water, or Leathermaster products. If you use only those products and have a topcoat peel they will replace the leather on your piece under warranty. But if you put anything else on there - even if sold to you by a dealer as part of a 'leather warranty' package, you're on your own.

I have the Leathermaster Maxi kits in my store (large size only). They're $ 34.99 plus shipping and there's enough cleaner/conditioner in the large size to do a sofa about five times.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

menghsiu Guest

Great! So can I purchase the kit from you or your store online?

Surely. I have no way to do it online, best way is to send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE through the forum (click on my user name) along with your name, address and credit card info including Exp Date and CCV Code (MC/Visa/Disc). You may also call me at the store if you prefer at 703-360-6399. THanks!
    Duane Collie

UPDATE:

Leathermaster has gone out of Business (USA Distributor). Leathermagic is the new approved leather care supplier and while their Master Care kit is more expensive, it contains some additional product that I'm really glad to see. There is Protection Cream which forms a barrier to oily and acidic spills, and UV protection against sunlight fade (IMPORTANT!) as well as an ink remover.

I'm doing some experiments with the new kits at the store right now on leather swatches - especially with pure anilines - and I'll post the results when I'm done.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

What is considered mild soap? You mean bar soap? Like Ivory?

That's it! Ivory bar soap. Use it sparingly, and make sure to get the residue off completely. Don't use too much soap, or too much water.
    Duane Collie

fleblanc84 Guest

You should be cleaning and "CONDITIONING" leather 4 to 6 times a year. Leathermaster will void your warranty for any kind of oil build up due to lack of maintenance and animal damage isn't covered. I've been contracting from them for roughly ten years. The oils from your skin and especially animal fur breaks down your top coat lacquer or poly. in the case of bycast leather and will disolve your pigments and aniline dyes over time.

dr56 Guest

Default Leathermagic

Hi Duane!

Was thinking I need to order the H&M approved leather cleaner sooner as I will be soon approaching our 6 month mark on our chair and lo and behold I see your poast about Leathermagic. What were your results with this product? Is it H&M approved??? and, of course, that dreadful question....how much does it cost and do you carry it?

Thanks.....I have alot of catching up to do on this forum as I was busy with the girls this summer and didn't get on the computer much at all (aside from FB which I am beginning to think is way to time consuming!) Hope all is well with you and looking forward to playing catch up soon as the girls just returned to school today and I see your baby girl is off to college! WOW! Sounds like you have done a darn good job of raising your daughter.....time to celebrate!

Diane