Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: H&M Cleaning Regimen

dr56 Guest

Default no need to respond to my prior post..just noticed

oops, I posted too soon. I just got to your separate thread on Leathermaster out....Leathermagic in. No need to respond as you have answered my questions. I am not certain whether I would need the UVprotectant as my chair does not sit near the sun.....which product do you recommend for my recliner, Duane? Yikes, its pricey but I am sure worth the small investment.

I think you'll be OK without the UV protectant. Just keep an eye on things - sunfade is very slow and there is plenty of time to remedy the situation if you just aware it can happen and check the piece periodically.

You can use as little as soap and water. if you want to step up, the base kit is cleaner/conditioner with an ink remover bottle and its $ 39.95 plus shipping. The full kit is $ 20 more and has the UV protectant with it as well as a bottle of leather (spill and stain) protectant.

Soap and water works, but it leaves the leather 'iifeless' looking and you do want to make sure all soap residue is removed. The kit has a conditioner in it that makes it look like new again, that's the main difference - and the ink remover!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dr56 Guest

Default do you sell the base kit, Duane!

and do you sell this base kit, Duane? or do I go directly to Leathermagic, or otherwise? Any business big or small I can give to you I'd like to although I can't imagine theres any profit in it for you at this price. Let me know.

Diane

trisig Guest

Default Re: H&M Cleaning Regimen

Duane,
    I had an electrical fire in our house and now have soot all over. I have to have some professional cleaners come in. Should I let them clean my H&M sofa? I noticed the soot on it, as the dog was probably laying on it while I was gone, maybe even licking it (thank goodness the dog is ok. The person coming to feed her discovered this). I have only had my sofa about six months, so I have not purchased the leathercraft yet.

Thanks

That's a tough call and not sure i have the right answer for you. On one hand, your insurance company and the pro cleaners work jointly to clean/replace the damages so you have to go with their program (I assume a company like Servicemaster will be used). If you don't allow them to clean it, then they may deny any further recourse if there is a smoke odor in the piece that is objectionable later on.

On the other hand, cleaners are geared towards a particular class of leather (Finished, semi-Aniline, or pure Aniline) so the right cleaner has to be used on the right class of leather. I sincerely doubt that any pro cleaner knows the difference between finished and aniline leathers, and will not have cleaning kits for the two.

I think the correct answer is how much recourse do you want to be able to take advantage of? If you think the sofa ONLY has soot on it and there is no chance of smoke or odor damage, then i would be tempted to clean it myself using the proper Leathermagic kit. However if you are unsure, then let them handle it as long as you have something from teh cleaning company that says they will replace the sofa if they screw it up.
    Duane Collie

trisig Guest

Thank you Duane. Maybe I can get the professional cleaning company coming in to purchase the leathermagic. That would satisfy both warranties, right? I didn't smell an odor on the sofa. I have the September Sofa in Document Dove, so it's a light color..

To be safe, use only ivory bar soap and water, and not much of either. That's an approved H&M method of cleaning the leather and requires no purchase of anything. Not too much soap, and not too much water. Damp, not sopping wet. And just minimal soap, which must all be removed as well. That's easy, and safe. Get a Leathermagic kit later on when you want to refreshen it to a new appearance.
    Duane Collie

Joan Guest

Hello Fearless Leader,

Just read this thread . . . should we be applying a sun protective product on the 2 Capri chairs we just had delivered and are right in front of several windows?

Thank you!

Absolutely on the Capri. That leather will fade quickly in direct sunlight. You will want a UV blocker to apply to the leather, and if I were you I'd contact a local company that can apply UV sun block "solar" film to your windows and get that done as well (they have several shades to choose from, doesn't have to be dark.
    Duane Collie

Question Re: H&M Cleaning Regimen

Duane,
    I'm confused on the information provided on the LEATHER MAGIC website. You told me that my Imperial Burnished Whiskey covered sofa falls into the semi-aniline category. However, the website states the semi-aniline leather kit (See http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/S_...thrcarekit.htm contents are:
    1-8 oz. Bottle of NuBuck Leather Cleaner
    1-8 oz. Bottle of NuBuck Leather Conditioner
    1-4 oz. Bottle of Ink and Stain Remover
    1-8 oz. Bottle of Leather Protection Cream
    1-8 oz. Bottle of UV Absorbant

I contacted the company and the representative also appeared confused. Nevertheless, I ordered the "semi-aniline" kit. Now, here it gets interesting. I received my order today. The Kit's bottle labels are:
    1-8 oz. Bottle of LEATHER CLEANER
    1-8 oz. Bottle of LEATHER CONDITIONER For All Top Coated "Protected" Leather
    1-4 oz. Bottle of Ink and Stain Remover
    1-8 oz. Bottle of Leather Protection Cream
    1-8 oz. Bottle of UV PROTECTANT
    with no mention of "NuBuck".

Do you think I got what I NEED? What would you recommend? Thanks.