Thread: Help with sofa recommendations for family room

Cooper Guest

Default Help with sofa recommendations for family room

Hello Everyone!

I am new here but was hoping I could get some feedback on recommendations for my family room. I have been struggling with it for a year and a half due to its odd size and shape. With the holidays right around the corner I need to figure it out quick!

The room is connected to the kitchen and is a high traffic area. Here is what I have to work with: I just purchased 2 small scale chairs from Ethan Allen (Fairfax) - 31" w x 35" h x 35" d. They will be delivered tomorrow so I can post the picks then. It is used for lounging and watching TV with lots of jumps from the pets. I also have an armoire that the TV is in (Lane Gramercy Park).

I was looking at either the RH Lancaster sofa/loveseat or Casco Bay Manchester. I have a dog and a cat that have torn apart the Linen coffee table ottoman and white sofa I have now so I am going for darker pieces that can be easily cleaned (I have bad allergies) and also hide dirt. I have attached pictures of the space and a proposed layout. I need to get the sofa/loveseat by Christmas and was hoping people could weigh in on the layout of the room, leather suggestions, and any feedback on Casco Bay sofas. I am also looking for counter stools for my island - I want them to have backs so people are comfortable. I am very budget conscious right now so I want to make the best decisions.

Any feedback, help, suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family room_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	1463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen on other side of family room.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	1459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall with TV on it.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	1460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall and entry way.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireplace.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	1462  

Default Re: Help with sofa recommendations for family room

Wow! You have a VERY tough decorating challenge there, very limited wall space and lots of vertical. From what I can see of your photos and layout, you're trying to put too much furniture in there. The room won't hold it. Its probably too late since you have already bought a pair of chairs....but I'd not try to put two chairs and a loveseat in that area based on what you've showed me. If I was working that room from scratch, I'd do this:

* Get rid of the Armoire, its a space eater. Mount an ultra-thin LED TV flat panel right to the wall.

* I'd use two chair and a half units, on swivels and one ottoman. And a small table for each. That may be all you need. Similar to this:

http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph..._king&protype=

* Artwork is too small and clumped. When you have those high 2-story ceilings you need bold artwork that has some size to it. Around 40" x 40" or so to carry it up the wall. Here's a site that has some nautical that size:

http://www.shadowcatchersart.com

Key in password: valueart

Then look in the COASTAL scenes for the larger art.

* And of course a killer rug to put in some color blast on the floor.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I would be tempted to add some color to the walls. Even if you wanted to remain neutral and muted - something more than white or barely off-white.

+1

A little paint or some shadow box molding breaks up those high walls.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    I would be tempted to add some color to the walls. Even if you wanted to remain neutral and muted - something more than white or barely off-white.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

elementscf Guest

Hey!

Yeah it seems like you've got yourself quite a challenge! I completely agree with the above posts in the fact that it is a small room with limited mobility, and that the armoire can be removed and the tv can be mounted on the wall. I feel the armoire creates a cluttered feel especially with the couch on the opposite end of the room, also going vertical. I do however, really enjoy the theme of the room!

I would also remove some of the furniture from the room as well. Maybe only a couch, chair, and one or two tables. lol its okay though since you've already bought the chairs. I'm sure it will still be a nice addition to your room!

Best of luck,
    Evan

Elements Contract Furnishings