Thread: Mad as Spit

Default Mad as Spit

Look what showed up in today's Washington Post. I read this at breakfast today and was cranked up about it all the way into the store today.

I'm normally pretty chilled out, but this was more than I could bear. So I fired off a Letter to the Editor today, and we will see if it gets published.

Unbelievable. Did Hank Stuever really write this as part of his Television column in "reviewing' the Stand Up 2 Cancer Telethon?

"That's the thing about cancer in America: It is sacrosanct. Getting it, fighting it, coming back from the brink of it and even dying of it these are the sacramental rites of cancer, America's secular religion. "

You think its a 'rite' of cancer? You are so wrong.....you trivialize fund-raising for this disease, because a group of people are volunteering their time to do what they can to raise money for it? Doesn't matter if they are celebs or not....what have YOU done lately?

I've had 70% of my liver removed. Two feet of my small intestine, my gall bladder, and more lymph nodes than can be counted as I struggled to stay alive from this disease. I raise money for research, and I hold newly diagnosed people who are scared and frightened half out of their mind with the news they are terminal. I Volunteer. All money for cancer research is good money, regardless of how it is raised.

I hope that you never have to experience cancer, or that you have to sit in a doctors office and be told you have 12 months to live. If you did, you would see things differently, I guarantee it.

You have overstepped your boundaries and owe your readers an apology, though I doubt you will ever see that you do.

The offending article in the paper:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091007652.html

Please send 'Hank' an email if you think he's full of crap.....he needs to hear it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Mad as Spit

Wow. Some people are clueless. Good for you, Duane, for writing back.

I just lost another friend to cancer today. Curtis Ingraham, a BMW pal out in California. And 10 days earlier, another BMW car buddy in Kansas City to cancer. Tough disease...and I'm still peeved about this idiot TV critic and his 'secular religion' comment. He best never hope I see him in person as he'd get one heck of a verbal lashing.
    Duane Collie

this disease has obviously never touched him or someone he's loved. ridiculous.

Lost my dad to cancer. My entire family has it. He is a DB.

I lost two friends to cancer just last week, one in California and the other in Kansas.

The good news is I'm helping another friend get to the surgeon that saved my life at Johns Hopkins. She is going to have surgery with Doc. Choti this coming Wednesday to remove her cancer, and the medical staff at Vanderbilt had declared her inoperable. Getting to the right guy is critical, and she's going to be right where she needs to be.
    Duane Collie