Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Iron/Brass Bed: Too Heavy???

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Antique Iron/Brass Bed: Too Heavy???

I just went to look at a full-sized antique brass bed. It is gorgeous, but extremely heavy. It would be for the second floor guest room. The room is located in a back corner of the house. The house was built in 1936. Will my floor support this bed? I had no idea that brass could be this heavy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3nb3o73pc5V25Y65Q5a9a94182e7593fb1eee.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	1489  

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Antique Iron/Brass Bed: Too Heavy???

P.S. Also, any idea where I can find bed slats? I'm assuming I will need them, right?

Oh sure, it will support that just fine. No worries.

Bed slats, hard to tell without seeing the bed assembled as to what will work. Does it have side rails or is it just a headboard and footboard? If the latter, then you get a plain metal frame for the matt/box and figure out a way to attach these to the frame (bolt-up, or make a bracket, etc)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you, Duane! I have this recurring anxiety about my floor collapsing under the weight of such a heavy bed, but if you're sure. . .

Yes, it comes with the drop-in rails. Where can I get the slats? The rails have a bit of rust on them. I'm assuming I can just clean them with a wire brush? Also, any suggestions on how to clean the bed itself? I've heard Brasso is rather harsh on brass, and that cleaning it with soapy water with a bit of vinegar is the way to go. Any thoughts?

I'm not an architect, but I've never seen a floor in a house collapse from a bed. That bed can't weight more than 200 lb, and when you consider a lot of people use waterbeds that weigh 1,400 lbs and you don't hear about them coming through the floor, its pretty safe to set up a brass bed.

Solid brass will not rust, if there is actually rust on the bed, then its plated with something (might be brass, might be something else). If surface oxidation it will clean up with # 0000 steel wool and the brass polish of your choice. If its truly rust, then it would need to be stripped and re-plated.

Wood slats? Easy to make or have a small wood shop cut some for you out of plain maple.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    I've heard Brasso is rather harsh on brass, and that cleaning it with soapy water with a bit of vinegar is the way to go. Any thoughts?
    I used Brasso quite a bit when I was in the Army. Every week the officer candidates polished the brass plaques and a brass cannon while we were in the process of earning our commissions. Didn't seem to harm them one bit (and some of those pieces had been in place for a few decades).

Re: slats, IKEA makes a few models. They might fit your bed. The ones made out of solid pine (SULTAN LADE) cost $30. Measurements are on the website.

Riddle Guest

There are a few things you should check before cleaning brass. First of all, if it was lacquered to protect the finish, there may still be some lacquer on the piece that will need to be removed before cleaning and polishing.

Next, is it solid or plated? If it attracts a magnet, you have brass plated ferrous metal (steel). If not, scratch through in an inconspicuous spot. Silvery colors mean it's plated, yellow/gold/brass means it's solid brass. For plated brass, use the gentlest methods you can. For solid brass, you have options. Brass is an alloy of copper and another metal. The tarnish (oxidation) can be removed with either a base or an acid. Cleaners like Brasso and Twinkle Copper cleaner will give you a bright, shiny look. A paste of either lemon juice or white vinegar (acids) and salt requires more elbow grease, but the result is a more mellow shine. For quick touch-ups, wiping the piece with a cloth that's been sprayed with an ammonia (base) cleaner like Windex will remove very light tarnish.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Duane. It's not the bed that has rust; it's the rails, which appear to be iron, and there's only a little rust.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Riddle. I'm partial to the more mellow shine. Do you happen to know the correct mix of vinegar and salt?

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you, harland. I will check out the SULTAN LADE slats, for sure. If they won't fit, I'll take Duane's advice and just get some cut at the lumberyard.