Thread: Mattress Advice?

Valf Guest

Default Mattress Advice?

After 1.5 years, we are replacing our Westin Heavenly bed. It has never been comfortable, we both wake up with shoulder and/or hip pain. I am a hot sleeper. I sleep on my stomach and am a big woman at 5'5" and 220, he sleeps on his side and is 6'2" 230.

I am thinking of this one from Costco. Sealy West Wind Posturepedic Luxury Plush Euro Pillowtop. Any opinions on these specs?

Luxurious Knit Cover
    1 oz. FlameGuard™ Rayon Fiber
    1½" x ½" Convoluted Memory Foam
    ½" SealyFoam®
    Pressure Relief Inlay (7) (Visco/Latex/Visco)
    1" SuperSoft SealyFoam®
    Versare Inner Panel
    3" SuperSoft SealyFoam®
    1" SealyFoam®
    ¼" Insulator
    14 gauge PostureTech® Innerspring with Posture Channels
    Unicased™ XT
    Low Profile Box Spring
    Mattress thickness: 16.5"
    Box Spring thickness: 5"
    King 3-pc Mattress Set dimensions:
    76" W x 80" : x 21.5" H
    Weight: 160 lbs
    Coil Density: 986

One more thing, we have the Costco 4" Novafoam topper and it was so comfortable! But I took it off because I couldn't find sheets that would stay on. Mattress and topper together was just too thick. Every morning the sheet was half off the bed.

Thank you so much for any advice you offer.

You can't buy a mattress / box on specs. The ONLY way is to take a long test drive on them with your partner in tow. Makes it hard to do at Costco, because they really are not set up for that. I recommend spending at least 15 minutes on a mattress test drive at a minimum, preferably where its quiet and calm and you can relax a bit.

I only buy Royal-Pedic beds myself. I like 'em so much i got the dealership for my store. Everyone in my house sleeps on a RP, and I replace the sets every 14 years or so.

Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

We bought a natural latex--looks and feels like a regular mattress--a few years ago. We replaced a Stearns & Foster with it. From Day One, it's been like heaven. We paid about $3000. My husband has allergies, so we needed something "different" from a regular type mattress. We didn't really like the Tempur-Pedic type, that sinks in and conforms to the shape of your body. The one we ended up buying, as I said, looks and feels like a regular mattress, but is latex. I don't think we'll ever have to buy a new mattress again.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Latex

I have also purchased a Latex mattress last year. I suffer from neck pain and I have been very happy with the way the latex responds to pressure points and how supportive it is. Queen size about 1800 or so.

southbayed Guest

Default Re: Mattress Advice?

Personally, I think that the tough thing about shopping for a mattress is finding the right comfort level for you and your partner. Keep in mind, comfort first. Specs should be a small part of the decision process. Just be sure that you end up buying a mattress from a reputable business as well as a reputable manufacturer. Just because you spend more money doesn't mean you'll sleep any better! I like to stress comfort first. It is worth your time to lay on as many mattresses as you can.

edwinsmoz Guest

Did you look at all the non-traditional mattresses including air, and gel mattresses? Whichever you choose, you should definitely test the bed for several days before giving away your old mattress. Check with Costco and see if they have a good return policy.

Its against the law in every state for a maker to accept a return of bedding and resell it, the bedding has to be disposed of. They can be returned to the manufacturer for rebuild, but all they can reuse is the inner spring grid, everything else has to be thrown away. It can be donated to a homeless shelter, etc, but not resold. For that reason, expect any store that offers a return policy on bedding to have the price of having to absorb those returns packed into the retail.

I heavily discount Royal Pedic, and because of that don't accept returns, as I can't afford to give away or trash a $ 3,000 bedding set of the customer doesn't like it! Don't expect too much in the way of return policies on most bedding from most stores.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.