Thread: How to Buy Hotel-Grade Mattress?

Jaywalker Guest

Default How to Buy Hotel-Grade Mattress?

We have a FloBed natural Latex bed we like, but that's too much money for a guest bedroom futon, as it won't be slept on that much. We'd like a queen-sized convertible sofa/futon bed for the guest room. We've found a couple of frames we can live with, but the mattresses are the question. The basic mattresses are pretty poor.

Duane's advice is to buy either good, high level mattresses, or hotel grade and dump them after a few years. We'd like to follow the latter course.

The problem is,
    1. How do I buy a hotel-grade mattress? Do I go to a local mattress store and ask for one? Do I order it sight unseen online?
    2. Do I assume the hotel-grade queen mattress will fit on the queen-sized futon and that it will bend into a couch shape, then not destroy the mattress functionality?

Thanks.

Default Re: How to Buy Hotel-Grade Mattress?

Any decent mattress store will know what you mean if you say 'hotel grade'.

I don't really understand question 2? Bend a mattress into a couch shape?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

They mean they have a futon frame that converts from a sofa to a bed - kinda like a sleeper sofa, except there is only one bend, and you sit on the mattress, it doesn't fold up inside the sofa frame under seat cushions. I use to have a pretty good one. Worked very well.

I don't think you can use a standard, innerspring mattress on a futon frame though (in the sofa configuration). They don't bend like that. You can force a fold into a standard mattress, but it will spring right back flat as soon as you let go.

Jaywalker Guest

Okay, thanks - I'll ask a mattress store.

hglaber is right. The futon mattress folds longitudinally for a couch, then flattens out as a bed. You sleep from one armrest to the other, opposite that of a sleeper sofa in which your head is toward the back "rest."

The futon store has several grades of mattresses, which I don't trust. Most are foam, but they do have three grades of innerspring, the highest of which is in cloth pockets.

Correct, an innerspring mattress is ruined when bent unless specifically designed to do so. We make it a practice to never flex a mattress more than 20 degrees on delivery even though some makers say their beds can take up to a 90 degree bend during delivery. We found that bending to 90 degrees, even on the beds where they say it can be done, ruptures the spring grids.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

I'd bet any of the strip center mattress stores would carry futon mattresses... If not, a specialty futon store... they should be cheap.

Jaywalker Guest

Thanks, bubba, but there's no problem finding either futon frames or futon mattresses; the problem was whether a hotel-grade mattress could be found or used on the futon frame. The answer is it likely shouldn't be used.

A futon frame requires a futon mattress which should be purchased at a store that specializes in selling futons, not a mattress store. A normal mattress, whether it is "hotel" quality or any other quality will not work on a futon sofabed.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

sofabed Guest

I personally think the option you have chose is quite good and you can give a try to "Latex Foam" sofa bed as well which come at very affordable prices and have really good life as well. The foam should be of better quality which would really help in offering a more comfortable sleep/relaxation time to the guests.