Thread: Casters and Sunlight

tivoboy Guest

Default Casters and Sunlight

Duane

A couple of the pieces (sofa and chair) we're interested in have casters on the front legs. Will these damage a hardwood floor over time or are they purely aesthetic and the heft of the piece will keep it stationary?

Do we need to be concerned about UV damage from indirect sunlight that comes through north facing french doors? There are no window coverings to filter the light

Default Re: Casters and Sunlight

Casters on sofa legs are primarily decorative, but if you have a sofa atop hardwood floors, its likely to slide when bumped. I'd be inclined to put a rubber leg cup (available from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) under the rear legs (not the front). Just by anchoring the back ones, you will prevent the sofa from any sliding.

UV damage would be low from north facing doors, but something to keep an eye out for nonetheless. It would take several years to develop in most instances.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

tivoboy Guest

How about water stains on leather? (Actually drool)
    Will they be permanent or fade over time?
    Any leather suggestions to accommodate?

Not sure what you are asking, Tivoboy. You have dog drool stains on there now, or are trying to select a leather for a purchase that is resistant to that?
    Duane Collie

tivoboy Guest

Sorry - Trying to select leather

Will drool/water stains dissipate over time as it dries and is there a leather selection and/or color choice that is best?

Actually not a dog, but a toddler that watches Sesame Street with his mouth wide open.

A finished leather is the easiest to take care of and maintain, its basically 'wipe n' go', and they have good colors, soft hands on them now. However the 'unprotected' hides are much more interesting and give the look and feel of luxury leather. They may puck up some stains from time to time, most of which will evaporate out in a few days. Oily or acid-based stains can permanently mark the leather, however.
    Duane Collie

tivoboy Guest

Would a darker shade be prudent if we decide to go with an unprotected leather?

Pieces we're considering
    City with Cavalier - kind of boring, but the leather would hold up better
    Reserve and Rugby with Atticus - more style and the leather is attractive

If we go out of Town and Country - I really like the Parisian, but not sure I would want to pay the delta

I don't think a darker color is going to matter, if you dump a half pint of 10w30 on a leather sofa, its going to ruin an unprotected hide no matter what the color. As far as day to day serviceability, it really comes down to how often you are willing to wipe the leather down and remove the dirt and grime. A little Club Soda, or even plain water dampened on a clean white rag is all you have to do for say once a week maintenance. Its all about lifestyle.

Cavalier is only going to hold up better if you have heavy oils or acid-based products on the hide (motor oil, ammonia, etc). Other than that, a leather like Atticus will perform equally as well otherwise and as you note, the Atticus has a lot more luxury and style to it. The real key to it all is keeping it clean, and out of direct sunlight. Manage those two aspects and you've eliminated 90% of what damages a hide. You'd be surprised at how many people never clean their leather pieces much less put some conditioner on it.

FYI, I have mostly unprotected leathers in my home, and my kids grew up on them (one is now in college, the other a H.S. Junior). We never had any issues with staining all the years from baby to teens. But I do clean my leather hides 2x a year, once in the Spring and once in the Fall using LeatherMagic products.

Parisian is a fantastic sofa. Its really quite handsome. I have to get another in my store for a floor model. Yes, they are about twice the price of a City in Cavalier.
    Duane Collie

tivoboy Guest

Does H&M offer rubber casters for use on hardwood floors?
    Someone has a post on CL that claims the chairs have rubber casters

No, they do not....
    Duane Collie